We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kenya vs. South Africa vs. Tanzania

Macungie...
4 posts
Save Topic
Kenya vs. South Africa vs. Tanzania

I'm doing a medical internship in Africa between February 1-April 20, 2013. I've knocked down my choices to these three countries: Kenya, South Africa, and Tanzania.

What I'm looking for is a lot of flora and fauna, nice safari, beautiful beaches, and good, relatively cheap seafood. I'm more of a natural beauty guy as well. Looking for 75-85 degree weather. Being only 21 years old, I'm also interested in a country where I'd have plenty to do. I'm a big fan of water sports (particularly deep sea fishing and scuba diving, snorkeling).

I've been sold on Kenya, but since my trip is a while away, still giving other countries a look. If I'd go to Kenya, I'd be stationed in Mombasa (just an FYI), though they will fly me to Maasai for Safari, and I get to hang out on Mombasa beach.

Hazyview, South...
Level Contributor
3,785 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kenya vs. South Africa vs. Tanzania

Are you going in a medical internship or are you planning a holiday?

I wonder!

Klaus

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,793 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kenya vs. South Africa vs. Tanzania

You would be foolish (in my opinion) to pass up the chance of Cape Province - a unique floral kingdom; beaches, sealife; whales; many cultures; superb food; wines; actvities galore; cosmopolitan city, safaris down the road.....the World in One Country.

However, what is the most important thing to you? I think what you really want is the beautiful beaches and weather, which you can get in many places.

Pickering, United...
Level Contributor
3,298 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Kenya vs. South Africa vs. Tanzania

Difficult choice between Kenya and SA for me. The water sports could be the deciding factor. If surfing is your thing then SA wins hands down. For wind surfing and snorkelling Kenya would be a better choice IMO. The warmer waters off the Kenyan coast are gaurded by coral reef so calm, shallow waters with good snorkelling available off the beach. Good diving, too. Both offer

Try posting the same question in the Kenyan forum too.

Polokwane, South...
Level Contributor
46 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kenya vs. South Africa vs. Tanzania

I think you should first look into the different hospital environments in each country. And what type of learning experience you will gain. Also the type of patients you will be seeing. Only you know what interests you.

I think I would first narrow it down to hospital choices. Then take countries into consideration if all the hospitals are more or less on par.

Macungie...
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Kenya vs. South Africa vs. Tanzania

In order of importance to me:

1) Good safari

2) flora and fauna

3) lots of things to do (more of a 'look at nature' person than 'look at ruins' person)

4) water sports - as mentioned, I'm most interested in scuba diving and deep sea fishing. swimming with dolphins is also a plus :)

5) cuisine (love seafood)

6) beautiful beaches

You have to keep in mind that it'll be tough to find a medical internship in an area where the economy is doing very well and they're medicine is of high quality. There are only certain places in SA that offer such an internship.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,793 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kenya vs. South Africa vs. Tanzania

So what other country has a unique floral kingdom?

Nowhere.

Added to that - superb safari opportunities. That's your top two dealt with. SA has it all.

Hazyview, South...
Level Contributor
3,785 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kenya vs. South Africa vs. Tanzania

Sorry but I wonder why this question really gets entertained as the OP is obvious not interested in the internship and all that goes or should go with it.

There would definitely be other questions and I believe the preference should be given to someone whos main interest is the medical side and not Holiday and seafood. IMHO!

Am I missing the point?

Klaus

Macungie...
4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Kenya vs. South Africa vs. Tanzania

You are completely missing the point.

The OP will be working full shifts 5 days a week and is given 10 days vacation time after 2 months of hard week. Sorry that I'm interested in relaxing and enjoying a continent that I have yet to experience after 2 months of surgeries.

Naracoorte
Level Contributor
2,861 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kenya vs. South Africa vs. Tanzania

I understand you want advice on whats best for those 10 vacation days but if you will be LIVING and WORKING at the coalface for two months my first thought is that you need to make sure you can cope with that environment first. That means a lot more research on the places and immediate areas you will live and work, after all, that is where you will spend most of your time. If you haven't been to Africa before (?) then that research is even more important. If you already have all that done and dusted my apologies. For vacation days:

I think South Africa is it. If you base yourself on the eastern side you can also access Mozambique easily too for very good diving, seafood, fishing.

Johannesburg
Level Contributor
172 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kenya vs. South Africa vs. Tanzania

Have a look at the Durban area in South Africa.

From Durban you have over 6 large game parks for safari within 3 to 4 hrs drive. www.kznwildlife.com

You have the Aliwal Shoal, 35 miles south, for great scuba diving. Here you have wrecks, reef and sharks. www.agulhashouse.com

Sodwana Bay, 250 miles north, again great scuba diving. More for pretty reefs with no wrecks. www.reefteach.co.za

Protea Banks, 100 miles south, for amazing shark diving.

You are also able to travel into southern Mozambique for diving, beaches and dolphin experiences.

You can not beat Kwa-Zulu Natal for the beach and wildlife experience. Warm water, great surf, kite surfing, spearfishing, boats, whales, dolphins, sharks, the big 5 on your door step. What more could you want?