We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One month South Africa and dive Tofo

Llanfairpwllgwyngyll...
Level Contributor
280 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
One month South Africa and dive Tofo

Hi all,

I'm have kind of last minute ( july / August )decided to head to SA mainly to see the great whites near cape town ( info appreciated here) and visit Aiwal Shoal, protea banks and Rourkes Drift near Durban. I believe the trip up to Durban from Cape Town is stunning. I was then planning to head to tofo and dive there for five or six days or so.

Is all of this doable in a month or so or is it over ambitious and would I be missing anything major in doing this itinerary ?

Rondebosch, South...
Level Contributor
6 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One month South Africa and dive Tofo

Hi again,

I reckon what you set out to do can be done in a month. White sharks are a MUST do!!! I have dived with White Shark Projects (www.whitesharkprojects.co.za) and they were really professional - good service, good food, very knowledgeable and they research the sharks while you do the diving - not all companies do this. White Shark Projects is also Fair Trade in Tourism accredited so you know they do good stuff!

July - Aug is the best time to be diving with great whites, as its seal pupping season and so the sharks are taking a lot of interest in the seal colonies... perfect for multiple sightings and sometimes even breaching for catching seals. Its crazy to watch but real raw nature!

THe drive from cape Town to Durban is lovely, I'd recommed researching these areas and deciding what you like best as you can easily spend the whole month just on the trip between the two.

- Garden Route: lots of adventure and nature activities, beautiful forested parks and beaches. Cape Town's favourite holiday destination!

- Wild Coast: very rural and cultural as well as being beautiful and scenic with stunning deserted beaches.

If you're coming this close, you simply must include Tofo... wow its a great dive place, whale sharks, manta rays, turtles and all sorts of lovely reefs.

cheers,

ruth

Llanfairpwllgwyngyll...
Level Contributor
280 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One month South Africa and dive Tofo

Thanks again for your help Ruth. So I must include tofo ? does that mean the diving at tofo is much better than Aiwal Shoal / Protea Banks during august ?

Is it feasable to come all the way from Cape T up to Durban and then on to Inhambane and back to Durban in a month ?

Rondebosch, South...
Level Contributor
6 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One month South Africa and dive Tofo

Depending on what you want to do a month may or may not be long enough, so there might be one or two things you decide to skip. From my own experience Tofo is a must, and August is a good time of year. I haven't personally dived Protea Banks or Aliwal Shoal in August, but I hear you have a good chance of seeing ragged tooth shark/nurse shark/sand tiger and whales.

You may also catch the tail end of the sardine run in this area... ?

I think its feasible to spend a couple of days in Cape Town - say 5, then 5 days Garden Route to PE then travel direct to Durban from PE or stop for 2 - 3 nights on the wild coast - but stick to one location such as Cintsa or Coffee Bay for example - these are easy to access with a service like bazbus and offer shuttles to nearby towns for bus pickup/drop off. then you can have a couple of days in Durban with an overnight in Rorke's drift on the way to JHB (public transport to Rorke's drift might be a bit more tricky than the rest), and then fly from JHB to Inhambane and spend a couple of days in Mozambique. I think there is enough time to experience it all nicely, if not really soak it all in with long stays. If you want some longer stays then maybe skip the wild coast and go straight to durban from PE/end of Garden Route.

Johannesburg
Level Contributor
172 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One month South Africa and dive Tofo

The diving in Aliwal or Protea is totally different than Tofu.

At both you will see sharks during your dives if you want to. By this I mean go to the sites that sharks are seen. Aliwal also has two wrecks that can be dived on. The oldest one sinking in 1884. I would suggest basing yourself at Aliwal and then taking a day trip to Protea to dive. By doing this you can see what is the best day to dive down there, by what is being seen and weather conditions. Give yourself 4/5 days min do do the dives here as there are lots to see. Try the baited dives which you will see plenty of Blacktip Sharks and a great chance of seeing Tiger Sharks. Here look at www.agulhashouse.com which is rated here on TA and can help you with all of your diving including Protea.

I have never dived in Tofu but have heard good reports about Tofu Scuba.

Time all depends on what you want to see. Maybe drive up to PE and then fly into Durban. think Durban also has flights to Maputo and then up again but I am not sure.

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
1,753 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One month South Africa and dive Tofo

Hello and maybe you should consider flying from Cape Town to Port Elizabeth then driving onto Durban? My family say that is the best part to drive. I spend a lot of time in KwaZulu Natal and stayed earlier this year at Fugitives Drift Lodge when visiting Rorkes Drift. I have a web site that you might find helpful when planning your Durban/KZN section, www.safarikzn.com. There is also a link to Advantage Tours based in St Lucia as you will be there as whales are heading along the Elephant Coast.

6. Re: One month South Africa and dive Tofo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 July 2013, 05:16