We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

passport validity

london
Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
passport validity

I am planning a trip to South Africa late October to Early November 2012. My passport expires end of March 2013.

Most advice tells me as long as there are 30 days left on the passport and two clear pages I'm ok.

SA high commission Passport valid for no less than 30 days after the expiry of intended visit

Your passport must be valid for a minimum period of 30 days from the date of exit from South Africa.ukinsouthafrica.fco.gov.uk

However, some guide books and comments on forums indicate that 6 months are required.

Has anyone been recently and can help me out?

thanks

Hazyview, South...
Level Contributor
3,736 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: passport validity

Whatever the regulation is (I believed it to be 30 days after visitors visa expiry (which is 90 days/ 3 months from entry)), to be on the safe side, why not get it extended or a new one? There should be enough time till October. In March of the following year you will have to do it anyway.

Klaus

-Owner Abangane-

Hazyview

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Western Cape, Cape Town Central
Level Contributor
3,266 posts
514 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: passport validity

I thought it was 6 months, but South African High Commission is more knowledgable than me! In any case, you can get up to 9 months added to your new passport, if the old one hasn't expired. So I would get it renewed before you go

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
3,853 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: passport validity

I've heard the number 6 months more often than the 30 days, which (i.e., 30 days) may in fact be correct. Nevertheless, I tend to be conservative on these tyopes of immigration issues and would go ahead with a renewal so as not to even have to think about it.

Edited: 30 June 2012, 23:16
kentucky
Level Contributor
5,742 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: passport validity

I believe this should give the definitive answer:

southafrica-newyork.net/homeaffairs/visitors…

you can link see 30 days passport validity before expiry--link thru to visa requirements

Edited: 03 July 2012, 16:53
5. Re: passport validity

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 July 2013, 21:47