We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First timer is very confused and needs help

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,510 posts
791 reviews
Save Topic
First timer is very confused and needs help

Okay a first timer couple here, lower 40s in age, we simply want to see wildlife in Kruger or some nice wildlife park. Very simple.

This is for next year 2013 and our dates are yet to be determined.We will NOT have a rental vehicle.

Yes I have looked at the Kruger parks page and I have never seen a more confusing travel website EVER (anywhere) and I have extensively traveled.

We want to stay somewhere reasonably priced (which to me means UNDER US.$ 130, / R 1083. a night).

We want either meals included with the rate or the ability to buy meals where we stay.Or very close walking distance.

And then in addition we will pay for any extras such as park entrance fees or guided trips inside the park.Or guided trips inside a nearby park.

I am SO !!! confused as to where to go ! as EVERYONE says this park is better than that park, and that there are "so many options available" which are more economical and affordable, but I seem to only find expensive lodges which cost US 300 and up a night per person.

Where are all of these affordable options ? Can this even be done ? The Indian Rail system is easier than this I swear !

Fordingbridge...
Level Contributor
2,023 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First timer is very confused and needs help

For those prices you'll be staying in Sanparks camp sites:

www.krugerpark.com/sanparks.htm…

Personally I've used this site on many occasions without any problems whatsoever. You will need to book early at peak times.

Hazyview, South...
Level Contributor
3,763 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First timer is very confused and needs help

To be very honest, not driving in South Africa, especially Kruger, with the budget you mention is rather impossible when planning an individual trip. The budget does not allow you the luxury private reserves and to get to the sanpark reserves and camps will work out rather difficult and expensive in transfer.

You would be better off checking for a group tour/safari where the transfer and everything else has been taken care off.

Klaus

-Owner Abangane-

Hazyview

Fordingbridge...
Level Contributor
2,023 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First timer is very confused and needs help

Excellent advice Klaus.

Leigh-on Sea...
Level Contributor
3,740 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First timer is very confused and needs help

are there operators that run small group tours out of Jo'burg that will take you via Panorama Route, a few days in Kruger. Most tourists seem to hire a car and drive themselves to kruger but I wouldn't mind a guided tour and make my own way flying from an airport near Kruger to Cape Town.

Can you reccomend any by name please?

Hazyview, South...
Level Contributor
3,763 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First timer is very confused and needs help

You can have a look at www.sagleosafaris.co.za

I know the owners personally but do not have any experience about the quality of their tours.

Klaus

-Owner Abangane-

Hazyview

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,849 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First timer is very confused and needs help

Hawksfan, I am planning a trip too. Just wanted to know which Kruger Parks page you are referring to. Is it the offical South African National Parks page - http://www.sanparks.org/parks/kruger/?

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,510 posts
791 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First timer is very confused and needs help

I was looking at this one:

http://www.krugerpark.co.za/

(sigh) which apparently is the wrong one

I'm a bit frustrated so far still as I can't find one, not ONE place, which is apparently safe and a clean place to stay,anywhere at all, anywhere, in the lower third of the entire continent of Africa that is under $ 150 US a night and has meals either included with the rate, or food is close nearby, that also does tours out of it or where you can be picked up for a tour of animals.I cannot afford these 300 and 400 and 500 a night per person per night ! places, and for some reason they think everyone wants "luxury", all I can see is "luxury" or bring a sleeping bag. There seems to no "middle" establishments at all anywhere.

Hazyview, South...
Level Contributor
3,763 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First timer is very confused and needs help

I would say that your statement is entirely wrong.

You will find decent places that are safe and clean from as little as R250 (USD30) per person, B&B (definitely not in any private reserve in SA). Most of the establishments close to Kruger Park will be able to put you on organised guided Safaris into Kruger Park from R500.00 - R1000 per person (depending on the duration of the safari (incl. pick up and drop off). In KNP the infra structure for people that are not mobile is just not there and hardly ever required.

Kruger Park is not an "all inclusive" terrain but if you decide to stay somewhere outside the park it should not be a problem.

Have a look at:

www.safarinnow.com

www.travelbook.co.za

www.sa-venues.com

etc etc etc

Klaus

-Owner Abangane-

Hazyview

Edited: 14 July 2012, 15:58
Hazyview, South...
Level Contributor
3,763 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First timer is very confused and needs help

and BTW, why are you so adament that you will NOT have a rented car? SA will become much cheaper, much more enjoyable and you will be be much more flexible when self-driving. Being in your lower 40s I assume at least one of you will have a valid drivers licence?!?!

Klaus

-Owner Abangane-

Hazyview

10. Re: First timer is very confused and needs help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2012, 16:47