We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

South African souvenirs

New York
Level Contributor
84 posts
1 review
Save Topic
South African souvenirs

Hi Experts,

We will be leaving for SA in just 2 weeks. Have been looking around to see what are some special local souvenirs (small enough to carry). Found sites that reference Carrol Boyes Silverwares, Mrs Balls Chutney, art works from Knysna, ostrich eggs, etc. What would you recommend? Will be in Cape Town, Johannesburg, and Gansbaai area. Thanks

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
1,966 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: South African souvenirs

In Jhb try to get to the Bryanston Organic Market (reviews and URL on TA under Bryanston although I think it comes up on the Shopping tab on the Jhb page). Wonderful handcrafts far removed from the usual variety of mass-produced curios, and a lovely peaceful spot to visit.

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
1,966 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: South African souvenirs

In Jhb try to get to the Bryanston Organic Market (reviews and URL on TA under Bryanston although I think it comes up on the Shopping tab on the Jhb page). Wonderful handcrafts far removed from the usual variety of mass-produced curios, and a lovely peaceful spot to visit. When I was there last week I had the feeling there was more 'African' themed merchandise than beforel presumay with te souvenir market in mind but same quity as always. Just note very limited opening times

- Thursday and Saturday only

Kruger National...
Level Contributor
1,822 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: South African souvenirs

Rosebank market (in JHB) also has some fantastic souvenirs at their Sunday rooftop markets :-)

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
1,966 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: South African souvenirs

Rosebank rooftop market also has vast quantities of Chinese rubbish and mass-produced curios you have to wade through to get to anything decent:-(

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Macau, Holiday Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
27,176 posts
5,419 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: South African souvenirs

Don't forget to pick up some biltong! We always pick up plenty of Nando's and other Peri-peri sauces on our way back from RSA trips as well. Makes nice gifts although it (Nandos) is not an exclusively South African brand or sauce.

Polokwane, South...
Level Contributor
46 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: South African souvenirs

In Cape Town you can have a look at Green Market Square in central town. There's a number of stalls selling the usual animal theme items that might interest you.

I would be careful with the Ostrich eggs and biltong, I'm not sure if you would be allowed to bring it into your country. Just check beforehand though.

I've heard that Nandos in South Africa tastes different to other countries.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
113 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: South African souvenirs

I would recommend you to visit the Tbag project in Houtbay (Cape Town), they make lovely souvenirs that you can take home for friends and family. Another place would be Street Wires for handmade beaded souvenirs which will be much more affordable than buying it from the V&A Mall. It is situated in the CBD, just visit their website. http://streetwires.co.za/. All are 100% South Africa made.

Good Luck and hope you have a wonderful stay in Cape Town and South Africa.

Take 2 Tours - Nakita

8. Re: South African souvenirs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2013, 20:15