We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Malarone - what to do if it gives nasty side-effects

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
503 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Malarone - what to do if it gives nasty side-effects

I'm going to SA on Saturday, first time. Hugely exciting.

On that day I will also take my first Malarone medication. I've read on the net that it sometimes gives some nasty side-effects; such as painful stomach,vomiting and even hallucination. Doesn't sound ideal for on the plane really.

What should I do if the Malarone gives side-effects during the whole trip, potentially destroying a dream holiday ?

Thank you.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
4,036 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Malarone - what to do if it gives nasty side-effects

Fortunately, Malarone tends not to give severe side-effects as you describe. Most reports are of gi distress, which can be obviated or lessened by taking Malarone at breakfast with dairy products. Most tolerate Malarone well.

Table View, South...
Level Contributor
1,039 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Malarone - what to do if it gives nasty side-effects

Sometimes it does. It stuffed up my stomach to the tune of losing six kilos over 8 months due to me not being able to eat properly. Despite the medication the doctor gave me.

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,535 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Malarone - what to do if it gives nasty side-effects

I suggest it for clients - and none of them has ever reported back to me that it caused any problems. If you choose not to use it, protect yourself most carefully at dawn and dusk with a repellent that has DEET in it (no more than 50%!) and long sleeves and pants.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
10,016 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Malarone - what to do if it gives nasty side-effects

The symptoms you describe sound more like Larium; Malarone has a much better reputation as far as side effects go. You can ask your doctor about the feasibility of switching to doxycycline if you have to quit the Malarone (which I think is highly unlikely).

Mytmoss
Level Contributor
432 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Malarone - what to do if it gives nasty side-effects

Like any medication, there can be side effects. Ever read the warnings for aspirin? For most people they do fine with Malarone, myself included. Check with your doctor as to alternatives. Dave gave a good one about protection. Life is hazardous to your health, anything you eat drink or do may cause a problem.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,767 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Malarone - what to do if it gives nasty side-effects

I think you are over-excited!

I've never heard (until I read #2) of anyone suffering side-effects, far less it "destroying a dream holiday".

You would be better discussing your concerns with your doctor, but I would try taking the pill the day before your flight and then you will know if you get side-effects before you have your exciting flight and dream holiday.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
10,016 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Malarone - what to do if it gives nasty side-effects

I make a point of NOT reading about side effects of anything, knowing that if I do, I will think every twinge is a side effect. Same with researching every new ache and pain--it's often a sign of something dire, and I'll be dead within a week.

Edited: 08 August 2012, 16:21
London, United...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Malarone - what to do if it gives nasty side-effects

I have just stopped taking Malarone and towards the end of the treatment had 4 days of severe migraines having never had one before in my life. Doctor said it couldn't be the result of the malarone as it's not a 'known' side effect but they would come on heavy about 2 hours after taking each pill. Odd

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,767 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Malarone - what to do if it gives nasty side-effects

Kate - it could have been dehydration. Were you somewhere hot? Did you keep your fluid intake up?

It could have been a thousand things.

Shame Tobias never came back to tell us how he got on.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
2 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Malarone - what to do if it gives nasty side-effects

I've just stopped taking Malarone after experiencing shortness of breath and nighttime hallucinations in the wake of taking it. Has anyone else experienced these symptoms?