We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

water in capetown

Bay Area
Level Contributor
629 posts
Save Topic
water in capetown

This is probably a stupid question, but do we need to worrry about drinking the water, eating salads, etc. in Capetown?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
93 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: water in capetown

no

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,554 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: water in capetown

No. Did you see something that suggested you should worry?

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
3,005 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: water in capetown

Hi there

Not at all, you have nothing to worry about. You can drink tap water which is absolutely safe, and you can also buy bottled water if wanted too. The food in and around the City is fantastic. There are many restaurants to choose from, and that is exactly the reason why the standards are so high amongst them all, expect just the best form the best.

Hank Daries - Owner - Ulungele Tours

Hazyview, South...
Level Contributor
3,783 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: water in capetown

No!

SA has been one of the first and leading countries in excellent drinking water quality out of the tap.

Klaus

-Owner Abangane-

Hazyview

Bay Area
Level Contributor
629 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: water in capetown

Thank you all. I suspected this was the case, but just wanted to make sure. We can't wait to try all of the wonderful food in and around Cape Town. We DO have to be careful in Botswana and Zambia, right?

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,789 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: water in capetown

"We DO have to be careful in Botswana and Zambia, right?"

Why? Presumably you are staying in luxury camps, not living rough in the bush? Or staying somewhere where personal hygiene of kitchen staff is an issue?

In any case, the water in the Okavango Delta has probably been filtered through several million Papyrus reeds in an uninhabited region, so I'm not sure where you can get cleaner water.

Bay Area
Level Contributor
629 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: water in capetown

I didn't realize that. The flyer from our travel provider says to be careful. But it was a sort of "blanket statement". Maybe they are being overly careful!

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,554 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: water in capetown

I like to point out this quote directly from the web site of a little bush camp in the northern part of the Okavanga Delta, Mbiroba, operated by the Polers Trust:

"..Delta water is safe to drink but can sometimes be discoloured. If in doubt, mineral water is available for sale at the camp.."

And who are these polers? Well, they should know about the water, all right: http://www.okavangodelta.co.bw/

Your travel provider probably has never been to Botswana. I have found it sort of neat to be gliding along in a mekoro and scoop up some water for a cool, refreshing drink.

Dave Patterson - Owner - The Africa Safari

Edited: 09 August 2012, 18:22
Bay Area
Level Contributor
629 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: water in capetown

Do you get Okavango Delta water up in the Linyanti area?

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,554 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: water in capetown

No you do not.