We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stellenbosch vs Franschhoek

Fairfield...
1 post
Save Topic
Stellenbosch vs Franschhoek

My fiancee and I will be in Capetown the week of August 26th and are interested in spending a day in either Stellenbosh or Franschhoek. We would like to tour several vineyards and explore the town/have lunch. Additional tastings such as cheese, olive oil, or chocolate are also appealing to my fiancee. Can anyone recommend one town over the other? And can you recommend a tour company? We want to wait until we get there and can check the weekly forecast before booking something. Hopefully that is not too short of notice. Any help anyone could provide would be appreciated. I've already learned so much for our trip by reading this forum. Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Franschhoek
Franschhoek
Western Cape, South Africa
Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
9,191 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stellenbosch vs Franschhoek

I would consider driving yourselves. It's easy. Stellenbosch is hardly an hour away and the wine estate with the chocolate tasting - www.waterfordwines.com/ - is on the Cape Town side of Stellenbosch. Cheeses? The best known is Fairview, closer to Paarl - http://www.fairview.co.za/. Having said this, you could organize your trip with a private Guide and let him/her know that these are your interests. Cost - about R2000 plus an entry fees that turn up, though I can't think of any. Franschhoek is just another 45 minutes or so beyond Stellenbosch, so you could drive on over that way to see what it's like.

Dave Patterson - Owner - The Africa Safari

Mentioned in this post
Stellenbosch
Stellenbosch
Cape Town
Cape Town
The Fairview Collection, Tzaneen
The Fairview Collection...
218 Reviews
Tzaneen, South Africa
Paarl
Paarl
Franschhoek
Franschhoek
Save Reply
2. Re: Stellenbosch vs Franschhoek

Hi, you can actually go to Fairview for wine tasting and next door to Spice Route for a chocolate tasting, there is a DV artisan chocolate factory, so you only need to travel to Paarl.

www.fairview.co.za

www.spiceroutewines.co.za

www.dvchocolate.com

Mentioned in this post
The Fairview Collection, Tzaneen
The Fairview Collection...
218 Reviews
Tzaneen, South Africa
Paarl
Paarl
Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
279 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stellenbosch vs Franschhoek

We had a car in July when we were there and after our CT for 5 days we continued to the winelands. Easy driving...under an hour and clear directions. We stayed in both Stallenbosch and Frankschhoek, each for 2 nights. My preference was Frankschhoek as it was smaller and had a lovely small village feel. We had meals at Reubens and La Petite ferme, both highly recommenced. Our accommodation was in the main street so everything was very central.

Stallenbosch is a larger town and so more spread out. We stayed in Dorp st but I had chosen the wrong end. We needed to be further away from the main roads and more towards the town centre. We also enjoyed the meals and experiences there.

You really cannot go wrong, though Frankschhoek was my favourite. I would definitely hire a car as you can get to see more.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
3,208 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stellenbosch vs Franschhoek

You can do this on a self drive basis, you can join a group tour for the day or you can hire a guide and vehicle for the day, all options that you have. With the group tour you basicly follow the schedule of the operator company. With a private tour, you set the trend for the day and you can do what you want from morning to afternoon.

Hank Daries - Owner - Ulungele Tours

5. Re: Stellenbosch vs Franschhoek

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2013, 01:15