We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paying by debit card, will credit card charge apply?

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Paying by debit card, will credit card charge apply?

We are travelling to South Africa next Easter and are spending two nights at a lodge in Pilanesberg. The agent handling the lodge booking has said there is a 4% charge for credit card payments. Does anyone know if the same applies to debit card bookings? My bank has said there should be no charge. However last year when we were in Australia we were charged a credit card charge for using our debit card, the explanation being that it's a Visa card and the system there doesn't differentiate between Visa debit and Visa credit cards. Just wondered if the same applies in SA.

We can pay by bank transfer for the lodge but at a charge of R400 so just trying to work out the cheapest payment option.

Many thanks.

Berkhamsted, United...
Level Contributor
1,488 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Paying by debit card, will credit card charge apply?

Not exactly answering the question but there was a previous discussion on credit card fees a couple of months back and there seemed to be a view that retail merchants levying such charges are in breach of contract:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g293740-i9186-k5…

Edited: 13 September 2012, 14:05
SOUTH AFRICA
Level Contributor
2,544 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Paying by debit card, will credit card charge apply?

Correct, I have been told by our bank here in South Africa that it is illegal to add fees to any credit card payments. I would advise you to deal with a different agent, who does not charge you extra for the convenience of paying by credit card!!

Tanya * owner * Africa Direct

Hazyview, South...
Level Contributor
3,783 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Paying by debit card, will credit card charge apply?

Sandsy40, thanks for posting the link to a previous discussion.

It is 100% correct that everyone who charges card fees is in breach of contract and if reported, will be taken away the CC facilities.

If the agent supports this scam, maybe you should rethink if you chose the right agent.

Klaus

-Owner Abangane-

Hazyview

Hazyview, South...
Level Contributor
3,783 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Paying by debit card, will credit card charge apply?

and BTW, even for us, as a small establishment making use of a third party system "paybridge" only costs us 2,5% on Visa and Master Card. Therefore, besides the illegality, 4% is a rip off!

Klaus

-Owner Abangane-

Hazyview

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Paying by debit card, will credit card charge apply?

Thank you for your speedy replies. I've emailed the agent asking for clarification as I'll be using a debit not credit card and not had a reply back yet. In the meantime I'll shop around, although this one is the cheapest and has availability for the dates we need. But I don't like the idea of being ripped off either. Nothing's ever straightforward is it!

Hazyview, South...
Level Contributor
3,783 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Paying by debit card, will credit card charge apply?

as you know where you will be staying (the Lodge) why not contact the establishment direct? Just google the name and see if you find their own website, rates and possible online booking facility.

You say you are visiting SA. Where else, other than Pilanesberg will you be going? Ever thought about visiting Kruger Park and why Pilanesberg?

Klaus

-Owner Abangane-

Hazyview

Edited: 13 September 2012, 16:26
Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Paying by debit card, will credit card charge apply?

Hi Klaus, I contacted them directly a couple of weeks ago and they didn't have availability on the dates we wanted, presumably because the rooms are being held by agents! And were more expensive on the closest dates they could offer.

We're spending a week with friends near Stellenbosch and a week with family near Pretoria. We have a six and five year old so have chosen Pilanesberg for ease of travel as we're spending a couple of days there during that second week.

We made the same trip nine years ago, so pre-children, and while I'd love to visit Kruger, we will leave that for a time when the kids are older.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Paying by debit card, will credit card charge apply?

Interestingly I have just this minute had an email from the agent saying that when they try to make a booking by debit card in the office it asks for a PIN number. Think I'll reply and remind them about the law regarding CC payments and see what happens. Will keep you posted! Thanks again.

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
2,678 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Paying by debit card, will credit card charge apply?

Hi,

I was advised by my bank that debit/cheque cards together with a CVV number should work. The CVV number is on the rear of the card (last three digits).

Pickering, United...
Level Contributor
3,298 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Paying by debit card, will credit card charge apply?

Familydal, is this a reputable agent? Do they definitely have rooms put aside or are they just hoping that something will come up closer to the date?

Also, are they based outside of SA e.g. in the UK? If so they can add a surcharge for using a CC or DC. The advantage is that if they don't provide your accommodation as promised at least you'll get your money back (although not necessarily a bed to sleep in!).