We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

International Flight

Gurugram (Gurgaon...
Level Contributor
228 posts
131 reviews
Save Topic
International Flight

Hi,

I have a return flight at 14:20 hours from Johannesburg Airport. I will be in Capetown that morning. Will it be okay if I take a 9:10 am flight frm there to reach 11:10 am at OR Tambo Airport??

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
452 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: International Flight

That is definitely fine. You have ample time in Johannesburg and in Cape Town you can get your baggage checked through to your end destination.

Regards

Michelle from Cape Town Guide

Gurugram (Gurgaon...
Level Contributor
228 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: International Flight

Its not a connecting flight. I will be flying with Kulala.com from Capetown to J'burg and Ethiopian Airlines from then on!!!

I feel I should give myself atleast one more hour's margin to account for any unscheduled delays!!

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
2,701 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: International Flight

Hi,

Nearer to the time I would also confirm with Kulula that the flight will, actually, be leaving at the scheduled time. When there are insufficient passengers, Kulula sometimes reschedules passengers on to a British Airways flight.

Gurugram (Gurgaon...
Level Contributor
228 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: International Flight

Thanks touristguide

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,942 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: International Flight

I suggest doing a couple of things before you committ to this. Since you will be traveling on 2 tickets, you will likely be viewed by Ethiopian as a JNB originating passenger. Depending on the ticket you have with Ethiopian, what are the consequences of missing that flight? Second, check with Ethiopian for the check in requirements for your international flight. Assuming your flight arrives on time, by the time you get off the plane, collect luggage if needed, and go to the Ethiopian counter to check in, you could be cutting it close. Long story short, I would look for an earlier flight if this was my trip.

Ethiopian's website did not provide an obvious answer to check in requirements. In one sentence it "suggests" three hours, in another sentence it says boarding can be denied if less than two hours, and in a third sentence it says the check in area is open until one hour before departure. Allowing 2 hours and 10 minutes to arrive from a domestic flight on a different ticket, then get checked in and ready to depart on the international flight is going to be either very tight, or possibly a no go from the begining.

Gurugram (Gurgaon...
Level Contributor
228 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: International Flight

Thanks for the suggestions JNHDRAC. I have now booked an earlier flight so as to avoid the risk of missing the ethiopian flight!! :-)

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,954 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: International Flight

Good plan. And some good news, too. Ethiopian Airlines is one of the best operations on the continent. High standards (in my experience!)

Gurugram (Gurgaon...
Level Contributor
228 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: International Flight

Thats really a good news!! :-)

I booked it only coz it was the cheapest though!!

9. Re: International Flight

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 September 2013, 10:19