We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kindly comment on this itinerary.

London
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Kindly comment on this itinerary.

We plan to make a grand Tour of Africa Kenya/ Tanzania/South Africa

and have already finalized the East Africa part. Kindly comment on the suggested Itinerary for SA as proposed by the Tour Operator.

africaremotesafaris.com/africasafaris/index.…

Thank you.

Hazyview, South...
Level Contributor
3,794 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kindly comment on this itinerary.

A lot of travel and little time to see anything, other than airports, IMHO!

Klaus

-Owner Abangane-

Hazyview

Berkhamsted, United...
Level Contributor
1,582 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kindly comment on this itinerary.

Phew! Whistlestop or what!

My personal view is that the best way to see South Africa is to arrange your own itinerary.See what YOU want to see, not what someone else thinks you should see.

Cape Town, South...
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
656 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kindly comment on this itinerary.

Unless you have a strong love of airports, I would stick to one country!

London
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Kindly comment on this itinerary.

Thank you, well I dint understand Graham's comment. We have 20 Days in Africa and are hoping to spend at least 10 days between Kenya and Tanzania. We had initially hoped to include a four day Victoria falls extension but someone else suggested a trip to South Africa. Now we can skip Durban and maybe cut out some days in Johannesburg. Capetown is a must go for us. Our agent is planning this tour through Thomsons. I would appreciate any advice for logistics and planning since I do not want to drive myself in South Africa.

Cape Town, South...
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
656 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kindly comment on this itinerary.

I see you are also a Londoner.. I strongly recommend reconsidering the self-drive option, as driving in SA is very similar to the UK but with hardly any cars on the road due to such a low population density. You see so much driving round the country yourself.

For example, when driving to the Kruger National Park you could stop at the third largest canyon and largest "green" canyon in the world, the Blyde River Canyon etc etc

PS that itinerary misses out Kruger National Park - a must visit in my opinion..

Edited: 16 October 2012, 09:47
Cape Town, South...
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
656 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kindly comment on this itinerary.

I would say Cape Town and the wine lands needs at least 4 days, and a safari at least 3 days. You could use local guides if you don't want to drive in the Cape Town region. If you stayed at a private game reserve near Kruger they could pick you up by road from a local airport (Nelspruit, Phalaborwa, Hoedspruit). Search for posts about Sun City on this forum... You will see that many people are of the opinion it is a more tacky resort version of Vegas. Personally I wouldn't want to stay there..

Cape Town, South...
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
656 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kindly comment on this itinerary.

Basically I would take out the time spent in Jo-burg and Durban, thus reducing some of your waiting around in airports/travelling. 4 nights in Cape Town, a couple in the wine lands and 3 in Kruger. Read this site for info on African safaris, it covers many countries.. http://www.kruger-2-kalahari.com/

London
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Kindly comment on this itinerary.

Thank you Graham, to be honest this is the kind of help I needed. I am considering the self drive option, I have also heard that there are some independent guides for hire. Maybe I could get a local guide in each City.

I am assuming that they drive from the right hand side like in the UK? I was in Kenya this August but ended up staying 5 nights in one place.Had I known and planned I should have had a longer safari. Going back in 2014(or Aug2013), I am trying to choose a safari Combo that includes Kenya, +South Africa or Tanzania+ South Africa.

London to Nairobi flights seem to be cheaper too. I hope to see the Kilimanjaro ,Ngorongoro crater and the Serengeti then fly back to Nairobi, connect the late night flight to Johannesburg, spend a night, leave the following morning to Capetown,spend 4 to 5 days probably in a self catering. I am not keen in Krugar at the moment since I would prefer a Tanzania/Kenya safari. I would like to try some outdoors,maybe hiking too.. Plan B, I am now convinced that I might not really need a tour operator for South Africa. .

Cape Town, South...
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
656 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kindly comment on this itinerary.

Driving is the same as in the UK in every way, same side - all the signs are also the same etc. The only minor differences are that SA has lots of stop streets signs, roundabouts are called circles and traffic lights are called robots!

If you like hiking then I can highly recommend the Mont Rochelle reserve near Franschhoek (one of the quaint wine-growing towns near Cape Town). You can buy permits in the tourism office on the main street, or bizarrely in the Protea hotel (also on the main street). You can climb table mountain (various routes) - we did Platteklip gorge without a guide. You will get lots of opinions on safari options, all I know is that Kruger has the highest density of mammals in the world and 90% of rhinos are in SA, so the all-round wildlife experience in SA is brilliant.

Why not book a guide for a day tour in Johannesburg, and a guide to take you up table mountain (half a day) and also one to show you some of the historical sites in the centre (another half a day).

I really think you will be surprised how easy driving is so you could probably self-drive the rest of the time if not all the time. You can hire a satnav from the car hire company or download SA maps to your own satnav device.

If you really aren't interested in the safari option in SA then I would consider spending your time in Cape Town and then Franschhoek or Stellenbosch. A day in Jo-burg might be interesting if you are keen to visit cultural sites and museums.. Let us know your thinking as your plans take shape.

10. Re: Kindly comment on this itinerary.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2013, 10:16