We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

south africa safari

new jersey
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
south africa safari

A group of American women would like to go on a safari from j'burg but want to travel by bus and not fly. I tried Shiduli Lodge but they seem to be booked for July 2013. Can you recommend a Lodge like Shiduli for us?

Wayzata, Minnesota
Level Contributor
2,865 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: south africa safari

What is your budget? Can't help without a budget. Is the bus decision to save money or for fear of flying light airplanes? For low cost check out Shindzela or Nottens.

Do you know Sandy Drake? She is a Delran High School class of '90 graduate and my oldest daughter's godmother. Perhaps you are the librarian at the school. Her husband was a classmate of mine at Annapolis. I have been to Delran many times! i don't like the left turns. Everything else is fine.

Craig Beal - owner - Travel Beyond

new jersey
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: south africa safari

Thanks for getting back to me so soon. I don't want to take a small plane and also we're flying from NYC to J'burg to Cape Town to J'burg to Victoria and back to J'burg. too many flights. There will be 6 of us and our budget is moderate / first class. We'd like to spend 3 nights. Sorry, I didn't start at Delran until 1996 so I don't know your friend.

Wayzata, Minnesota
Level Contributor
2,865 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: south africa safari

That itinerary looks exhausting with all the backtracking and possible forced overnights in Jo’burg? Why not fly like this and spend much less time on planes?:

Day 1,2 JFK-JNB. Spend one night in Jo'burg to rest or fly onward JNB-MQP on the same day to Nelspruit (MQP) and go directly to your Kruger safari. It is easier to get over jetlag on safari than in Cape Town drinking wine! You will be on safari the afternoon of day 2.

Day 2,3,4 Safari

Day 6,7,8,9 Driver takes you 2-3 hours to Nelspruit. Fly to Cape Town direct for four nights.

Day 10,11 Fly to Victoria Falls CPT-JNB-VFA.

Day 12,13 Fly VFA-JNB-JFK.

The above trip potentially eliminates all stays in Jo'burg and minimizes the time flying in Southern Africa.

I do suggest adding a safari in in Chobe or Hwange to your trip while in Victoria Falls. You are too close to miss it!

Not sure what first class means to you but check out Lion Sands River Lodge on stay4pay3 or MalaMala Main camp. With six people you get your own vehicle at MalaMala

Craig Beal – owner – Travel Beyond

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,561 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: south africa safari

To answer your first question - depending on just how much you want to rough it - Umlani Lodge in Timbavati has a plan that works for you. I looked at it myself just last month - had sent clients there but hadn't seen it myself. It is almost unique. The photos accurately show the old-fashioned accommodations. What they cannot show is the amazing energy of the place. http://www.umlani.com/

And the reviews here on TA are also amazing: tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g471860-d471913…

Very strong wildlife experiences here.. plus - drinks are included! Not common in the moderately priced camps/lodges

Dave Patterson - Owner - The Africa Safari

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
1,843 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: south africa safari

Hello and in July you could consider Nambiti Game Reserve in KwaZulu Natal. Its approx 4 hours drive south of Joburg and there are private companies who can offer a transfer. I have stayed at 3 lodges there, all great, with differents themes and costs. Take a look at www.safarikzn.com where you can read about KZN and articles on the lodges I have stayed at.

SOUTH AFRICA
Level Contributor
2,545 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: south africa safari

So you want a good safari destination, not too far from Johannesburg, as you would like to do a road transfer in stead of a flight.....my recommendation would bet that you consider the Madikwe Game Reserve which is about 3,5 hours drive from JNB. Many excellent lodges to choose from, and the game viewing is great!

Tanya * owner * Africa Direct

Randburg, Gauteng...
Level Contributor
977 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: south africa safari

Hello, do try to spend at least one night in Johannesburg. It has much to offer. The most popular destination is Soweto and the Apartheid Museum. which is a full day tour. it would mean one night stop over. you could stay at one of the airport hotels and if you arrive early in the morning, you can very easily do the day trip. Johannesburg is a very safe destination. You can also drive to Kruger in a minivan with an en route stop at the Panorama Route. then on to a lodge. There are many companies offering this type of trip.

8. Re: south africa safari

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 November 2013, 10:15