We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Budget/Family Friendly Safari

Chambersburg...
Level Contributor
2 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
Budget/Family Friendly Safari

Our 3 daughters want to go on Safari. We narrowed it down to SA based on flying into Jb. Now we are looking for recommendations on family friendly safari lodges (our children will be 6,9,12) that aren't luxury rated. Does anyone have any suggestions for places to look into, or avoid? This is our first international travel and letting our girls pick our vacation we want to make sure we give them a memorable trip! Thanks in advance!!

Felleng Day Tours
Safaris, Cultural Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Tim Brown Tours - Durban Safari Tours
Day Trips, Historical & Heritage Tours, Safaris, Cultural Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
2,627 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Budget/Family Friendly Safari

I'm sure others will come on with lots of great advice but in the meantime you may like to have a look at applicable threads started by this user:

tripadvisor.co.uk/members-forums/johnsongyps…

You'll pick up a bunch of useful tips and her enthusiasm is catching!

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
1,967 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Budget/Family Friendly Safari

Hello and I was at a lodge called Rhino River in the Zululand Rhino Reserve in June and there was a family there with two daughters and they loved it there. Its not a luxury lodge but they cater for everything. Last year at Lions Valley, in Nambiti Reserve, there was a Swiss family with two daughters and they booked a couple of extra nights as were having such a good time. This though is a luxury Lodge. Please have a look at www.safarikzn.com where I contribute and you can read reviews on both places. Nambiti has several lodges and in malaria free. It depends to on what else you would like to do during your holiday? KwaZulu Natal has mountains and stunning beaches.

Boston...
Level Contributor
359 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Budget/Family Friendly Safari

You have three options that seem to make sense and will be memorable. A lot will depend on your budget and travel style. I am a self-drive junkie and recommend that as a way to explore Kruger. Many find this intimidating at first but it is not hard and many, many people have tried it and loved it. With children, self-drive allows you to dictate your own schedule and amount of time you decide to spend with any sighting. That level of flexibility is hard to beat. Some may also suggest that it is hard to spot animals on your own and I, along with many others, will refute this claim. A number of forum posts testify to this sentiment and I am happy to point you to a number of resources to make this option an easy option. It is also the most affordable option for safaris.

Option 1: Self drive safari in Kruger Park and stay inside the Park

Pick up a car in Johannesburg and drive to Kruger (4-6 hours depending on where you stay).

Stay in the Park (sanparks.co.za) at 1-3 camps depending on how long you want to go for.

You can self-cater or eat in the camp restaurants.

Option 2: Self drive safari in Kruger Park but stay outside the Park

Pick up a car in Johannesburg and drive to Kruger (4-6 hours depending on where you stay).

Stay in a place like Hazyview which is 10 minutes from the Phabeni Gate at Kruger. Close to restaurants and many supermarkets with easy access into Kruger. You will have better accommodation options for 5 here than inside the Park. You can also easily visit the Panorama Route and the Blyde River Canyon right next to Kruger a nice day excursion.

Option 3: Combo of a self drive safari as described above and a 3-4 night private guided safari in a private reserve. These run approximately $300/person/night and 30%-50% less for children. These are all inclusive of meals, accommodations and game drives. If you decide to go this route, check out lodgetrackers.co.za. They offer a comprehensive array of private safari lodges.

I hope this helps you start the planning process. Feel free to ask any other questions that emerge as you plan.

Cheers!

SwagatKrugerLodge

Kruger National...
Level Contributor
2,029 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Budget/Family Friendly Safari

Hi there,

Heeten (above) makes great recommendations for your family & budget friendly safari.

There are some great lodges and accommodation options close to the Kruger such as Swagat Kruger Lodge, and others too.

Alternatively, if you want to stay inside of the park, Gomo Gomo (in the Klaserie Reserve, part of the Greater Kruger) is very family friendly.

All the best,

Jacqui

Hazyview, South...
Level Contributor
3,809 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Budget/Family Friendly Safari

The most cost effective way for a family, IMHO, is Kruger National Park. You can rent family cottages, cater for yourself and/or visit the reasonably priced restaurants (although the restaurants are nothing to write home about).

For SANparks (South African National Parks) accommodation and camps inside Kruger National park visit the following website:

www.sanparks.org (official website)

Early booking is recommended, especially the camps in the animal rich southern parts are booked up quickly.

From JHB I would rent a car and drive to KNP. Its depending on your first stop a 5-6 hours trip. Inside the park you can either selfdrive or take part in guided safaris which are operated by and can be booked at the camp itself. The rates are very fair.

Enjoy planning!

Klaus

-Owner Abangane-

Hazyview

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Budget/Family Friendly Safari

Tremisana lodge on the balule game reserve is great for kids, 3 star en suite, air conditioned rooms, game viewing hide at the camp overlooking a dam which is home to hippos, game drives and walks all incluisve. kids will not be allowed on the walks, but alternative game drives will be organised.

I know you said not luxury rated, ( i'm not sure of the cost) Jock Safari Lodge on a private concession in Kruger National park is highly rated for kids, with kids ranger activities included.

Jayne, *staff* Kruger Tours

7. Re: Budget/Family Friendly Safari

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 November 2013, 10:20