We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hijackings in Kwa Zulu Natal

Hampshire, UK
Level Contributor
9 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Hijackings in Kwa Zulu Natal

I have just read on a local press website (IOL) that hijackings are on the increase. I am arriving in South Africa next week, hiring a car and driving up to Hluhluwe. Is it safe?

Hazyview, South...
Level Contributor
3,791 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hijackings in Kwa Zulu Natal

we have not heard of an increase.

In nearly 8 years of business, most of our guests do the garden route, CT, Swaziland, Hluhluwe, Durban etc. and we have not met 1 person so far that had any problems.

Klaus

-Owner Abangane-

Hazyview

Cape Town, South...
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
653 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hijackings in Kwa Zulu Natal

Crime stats show a reduction in all crime apart from business crime and white collar crime. Stephen Grootes has been talking about the reduction in hijacking generally and in Gauteng on the radio.

The police in Durban warned of a recent increase over the last week. All areas mentioned are suburbs of Durban - hijackings normally take place in residential driveways when victims are likely to be aloof. The reason why hijacking is less of an issue now, is to do with neighbouring countries co-operating more with SA authorities.

We drove from Swaziland to Durban right passed Hluhluwe recently - lovely, easy motorway drive

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
1,875 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hijackings in Kwa Zulu Natal

Hello and in the years that I have been travelling in KZN I have never heard or seen anything? That is other than the odd 4 wheel drive being taken to go over the border into Mozambique. If you need any info/maps on the area please take a look at www.safarikzn.com. On the advice page there is a link to a UK govt site to.

South Africa
Level Contributor
1,436 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hijackings in Kwa Zulu Natal

It is for sure safe to drive around in South Africa. So many tourits and South African are driving daly in this country.

So donot be afraid and enjoy your trip in South Africa!

Edited: 08 November 2012, 14:07
Hampshire, UK
Level Contributor
9 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hijackings in Kwa Zulu Natal

Thankyou to everyone for your responses. It certainly has reassured me as I was a bit worried when I read those reports. Am certainly looking forward to my holiday.

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
1,875 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hijackings in Kwa Zulu Natal

Have a great trip, its my favourite destination for a holiday!

Truckee, California
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hijackings in Kwa Zulu Natal

Along these lines, I'm planning to hire a camper (RV) and travel as follows Jo-berg-> KwaZulu->East Cape->West Cape->Northern Cape->North West Province->Limpopo->Jo-berg in roughly 100 days. I can't find any accounts of campers (RVs) being hijacked in South Africa. It seems that the targets are bakkies, 4x4, BMWs, VWs, and Toyota sedans. Does anyone have any information to the contrary?

8. Re: Hijackings in Kwa Zulu Natal

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 March 2014, 06:17