We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

South Africa - Any suggestions of "must see"

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
3 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
South Africa - Any suggestions of "must see"

We are taking an aready pre-organized 10 days tour in January 2013 that will take us to the regular, popular sites, starting in Johannesburg. Then it's onto Port Elizabeth and ends in Cape Town for our flight home.

Any other "must sees" outside of the above mentioned areas that we can incorporate into our itinerary. We can add on days before or after the organized tour, as 10 days don't seem to be enough time.

Victoria falls - should we do this before JNB or after CPT?

Would greatly appreciate sharing your experiences and any other sites that are worth seeing including accommodations recommendations. Thanks.

Boston...
Level Contributor
359 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: South Africa - Any suggestions of "must see"

Is a safari of interest to you? Is Kruger Park included in your trip?

If not, then it is a must see in my opinion. You can self-drive into Kruger and stay inside or outside the park. You can also arrange guided safaris in the private reserves adjoining Kruger. Kruger is about 4-6 hours form Johannesburg. You can also fly from Johannesburg to Nelspruit and rent a car from there. This will put you 1-2 hours from Kruger. In addition to Kruger, I love the northern Kwazulu-Natal coast.

Getting any bookings in early January (school holidays/high season) may be hard so my suggestion would be to add it after the trip.

Maybe if you gave us some highlights of the organized tour, then we could suggest other things to consider.

Cheers.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
707 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: South Africa - Any suggestions of "must see"

Indeed, add another week up front and include Kruger.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
27,621 posts
5,730 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: South Africa - Any suggestions of "must see"

+1 for Kruger National Park. See link (w/pictures) if interested.

Self Drive vs. Private Reserve

tripadvisor.com/…REVIEWS

The other must see in South Africa that we just love is the Blyde River Canyon area - Panorama Route drive. See link (w/reviews and pictures)

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i30411-Panorama…

Have a nice trip to South Africa

Randburg, Gauteng...
Level Contributor
977 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: South Africa - Any suggestions of "must see"

i would do Vic Falls before you go to Cape Town. Try also to spend some time in Johannesburg. our most popular tour is to Soweto and Apartheid Museum. this is a must-see. this is a full day tour and you have lunch at Wandies restaurant which is a traditional eating place for the locals. if you include an extra day, then you can visit the Lesedi Cultural Village, which introduces you to the tribes of Zulu, Xhosa, Sotha, Pedi and Ndbele. Afterwards a meal which always includes crocodile on the menu. the Cradle of Humankind and the Apeman museum is also a must.

5. Re: South Africa - Any suggestions of "must see"

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 November 2013, 10:17