We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Immunization

Jackson, Wyoming
Level Contributor
532 posts
125 reviews
Save Topic
Immunization

We would like to consider S. Africa and the national parks as a holiday destination but our son is not vaccinated. We carry a medical exemption issued by the State health department.

Can we consider the parks as one of our considerations or should we travel elsewhere?

South Africa
Level Contributor
1,439 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Immunization

You donot need any vaccination for a Game park. You only need yellow fever vaccination, if you travel from a country with yellow fever.

If you want to enter S.A.

In which period you like to travel to SA?

Edited: 17 December 2012, 18:39
Hazyview, South...
Level Contributor
3,821 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Immunization

There is nothing that is needed or law to enter SA from the US.

Nevertheless, you should have, not only for travelling to SA, standard immunizations and I would suggest to update your's.

I assume your son has got exemption for a good reason. There is no higher danger to be expected in SA than at home.

Depending on his condition I definitely would consult a travel clinic to get professional advise (and not from a travel forum).

Klaus

-Owner Abangane-

Hazyview

Edited: 17 December 2012, 18:45
Jackson, Wyoming
Level Contributor
532 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Immunization

We are expats living in Holland now and will be traveling under US passports in the month of February. I am very concerned about the mosquitoes but will use some deep woods off, our son's little fan system and I plan to make some clothing for him with higher up elastic on the neck and options for his hands and ankles.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
33,124 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Immunization

What does your doctor think of your fan and elastic?

You really need to take their advice regarding the health of your son. He has NO vaccinations at all? Tetanus? Polio? Hepatitis? What age is he?

At the very least, I would stay away from malarial areas, but you really should take medical advice. No-one on here can advise you correctly.

South Africa
Level Contributor
1,439 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Immunization

If you donot go to the North Kruger Park, there will be no problem. The rest of SA has NO Malaria. And we have good repellant here in the Parmacy, supermarkets against mozzies.

The mozzies are not worse then in Holland!

Mentioned in this post
Kruger Park Lodge
Kruger Park Lodge
642 Reviews
Hazyview, South Africa
6. Re: Immunization

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 December 2013, 05:16