We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 week family trip in march

Newmarket, United...
2 posts
Save Topic
3 week family trip in march

We are planning a trip to South Africa at the end of March 2013. Our girls are 10 and 14. We know we would like to spend some time in Cape Town, would like to do some self-driving, want to take in some safari's and would love to also see Victoria Falls, What else would you recommend we see, spend time doing? Could you suggest a route for us to follow? Is it realistic/advisable to plan this for ourselves rather than go with a total package? Any advice gratefully received! :)

African Flame Safaris
Private Tours, Safaris
Kruger Flexi Tours - Day Tours
Nature & Wildlife Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours, Safaris
Vula Tours
Private Tours, Safaris, Day Trips
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
28,311 posts
6,125 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 week family trip in march

Hello rsa66

Welcome to the South Africa forums.

I'd start with 6-10 days in the Western Cape area. You can stay in Cape Town and make day trips and/or consider other locations nearby on the Garden Route. Here is a trip list of some of our favorite attractions/activities in Cape Town if of use in your trip planning.

Cape Town (Our Top Attractions)

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i32409-Cape_Tow…

I would then build in approximately one week for the Kruger National Park (KNP) on the eastern side of South Africa. Here you can consider self-drive and private reserve experience. See link with thoughts on which to choose.

Kruger (Self Drive vs. Private Reserve)

tripadvisor.com/…REVIEWS

Included or separate to your KNP experience, I would build in 1-2 days in the Blyde River Canyon area, self-drive is best. You can enjoy quite a lot of nice stops and activities in this area of South Africa. We are big fans of the Panorama Route drive around the canyon area. By the way, Blyde River Canyon is the largest green canyon in the world, some very impressive views and scenery in this area. See link (w/pictures and driving suggestions) for how to do the Panorama Route, if helpful.

Panorama Route – Blyde River Canyon

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i30411-Panorama…

Then with whatever time you've remaining you can visit any number of other attraction areas in South Africa. There are many, many different ways to make a fantastic three week trip.

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,488 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 week family trip in march

Vic Falls can be a very expensive addition to your trip. You might find it is too expensive. This will result in you having more time in South Africa.

3. Re: 3 week family trip in march

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 December 2013, 05:16