We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Africa

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Africa

I am going to travel to South Africa in June of 2013. Then I would like to fly 2 sons; age 30 & 33 over from the USA to explore and travel for 2 weeks in Africa with me, their Mom.

What are your recommendations of where to go, & what to do, if you had only 2 weeks in this part of the world in the month of June 2 -21, 2013. Any suggestions - routes - areas - must sees - private conservatives welcome.

Boston...
Level Contributor
359 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Africa

Hi Sandra,

Those dates look good since the South African school holidays start on the 22nd of June.

If you had two weeks, I would consider splitting between Kruger Park and Cape Town. You could do 5-6 days in the greater Kruger area that includes safari and the Blyde River Canyon.

For safaris you have three options:

1) Self-drive safaris by staying inside/outside the Kruger Park. This is an amazing experience and you will be astonished at what you will see and experience. It is easier than one thinks and I highly recommend it.

2) Safari in the private reserves adjoining Kruger. These are usually all inclusive with a lot of attention to detail and quality.

3) A combo of the above.

What you end up doing will depend largely on budget and the type of experience you re looking for.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Heeten, Owner, Swagat at Kruger Park Lodge

Wayzata, Minnesota
Level Contributor
2,879 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Africa

If you want to let us know your budget not including the flights to Africa I would be happy to suggest some detailed plans.

Craig Beal - owner - travel beyond

2011/2011 travel & leisure a-list agent for Botswana and Zimbabwe

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
1,870 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Africa

Hello and should consider KwaZulu Natal. I was there in June 2012 and had a wonderful trip. Dry warm sunny days, time spent on the beach, in the mountains and in game reserves. For me it has a bit of everything including history & culture if you want that to. Its also a great place for self drive with everything being within a few hours on good highways. It depends really on what you want to see but for me its the best all round province in SA. I contribute to a web site that gives free information on the region.

Mark - Owner - SafariKZN

usa
Level Contributor
64 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Africa

Sandra,

I just got back from South Africa on a trip with my son and daughter similar ages. It was perfect. We went on two safaris both on private reserves next to Kruger. There is a big difference between these private reserves and the Kruger Park visiting on your own. In the Kruger public park the jeeps cannot get off the road so you may not end up getting so close to the animals, you have covered jeeps. In the lodges we stayed the rangers drive up to the animals - there are tons!!!! we saw all the big five and more. In one of the lodges they even took us on bush walks, where we encountered giraffes among other animals. We had a great travel planner, Janine Krook, who helped us find exactly what we wanted. She can find you at whatever price range you are looking for. I am absolutely sure it would have been more expensive to book on our own and not as smooth, all the transfers were perfect, etc. Our stay in Cape Town was great - we had four days there. We also took four days to drive from Port Elizabeth to Cape Town - went to ostrich farm. We went shark diving. Not a single bad experience. We had 19 days in all - we also went to Victoria Falls. That was also great. Btw - the travel planner had been used by two other friends on previous trips with also perfect outcomes.

Naracoorte
Level Contributor
2,861 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Africa

Just to clarify that inside Kruger National park you can drive yourself around for anything up to 12 hours or so a day if you choose. No you can't go off road - this is an ecological plus IMHO. This does not stop one getting close to animals - we have had to retreat from elephant on many occasions and have had hyena and lion sniff our car. Been surrounded by buffalo and had to give way to rhino! You WILL see loads of animals. You CAN do guided game walks and drives from the camps inside Kruger NP.

A combination of private reserve and self drive in Kruger is a good first up way to see and experience the African bush.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Africa

Thank you all - I really appreciate your time & reply.. sandy

7. Re: Africa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 September 2013, 15:34
8. Re: Africa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 September 2014, 05:18