We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 weeks in South Africa, help with itinerary

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
62 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
3 weeks in South Africa, help with itinerary

Hi! My husband and I are spending our 5th year anniversary in South Africa for 3 weeks. We are both 29 and SO EXCITED. I needed help with out itinerary, so far this is what it looks like but it is very flexible:

Our itinerary is to arrive in Johanesberg, stay there for 3 days, then drive up to Kruger Park, stay at a private game reserve for safari adventures (probably Kapama Buffalo Lodge) for 3 nights, then drive down to Durban, stay there for 2 nights. Then we will take a flight down to Cape Town and rent a car there. We will then drive to the Western Cape (Garden Route) and stay somewhere in the Garden Route for 2 nights and then we are open to suggestions after that.

Basically: we want ti now if we are missing some important places /areas to see? Is it worth it to drive to other areas besides the Western Cape? Where in capetown, johanesberg, and durban would you recommend staying? We want something nice but around $80/night or less!

Any recs and help with this itinerary would be amazing! THANK YOU!

Hermanus, South...
Level Contributor
259 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 weeks in South Africa, help with itinerary

Can you advise the approximate month/s you intend visiting SA. It depends whether high season/low season, summer/winter? This will play a role deciding where and for how long you trip and the impact on your budget.

W

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
62 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 weeks in South Africa, help with itinerary

Hi! Thanks for the response, I should have mentioned the dates . It will be 1/21-2/12

Table View, South...
Level Contributor
1,074 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 weeks in South Africa, help with itinerary

I would reduce the Johannesburg stay to the night you arrive plus 1 more and add the extra night to the Garden Route.

You did not indicate that you are going to stay over in Cape Town, a must imho. If you do not intend to do this then rather consider flying into Port Elizaberth and do the garden route from there, a lot closer than Cape Town.

BTW, the Western Cape is a province and is roughly the size of England, just a lot prettier ::-)

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
62 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 weeks in South Africa, help with itinerary

ok no we plan to stay MOST of the time in cape town! so it would be johanesberg to the kruger national park for the safari then durban then cape town then the garden route... then back to cape town for the rest of the stay... am i missing anything?

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
1,886 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 weeks in South Africa, help with itinerary

Hello and please take a look at a website I contribute to called safarikzn. It may sway you to spending a little more time in the province of KwaZulu Natal. For me its a stunning destination which holds so much! Durban is the gateway to stunning coast lines, beaches, two world heritage sites, wetlands, mountains, history, the Zulu people and a mass of flora & fauna.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
62 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 weeks in South Africa, help with itinerary

hmm ok, im just having a lot of trouble with the itinerary. like should it look like this:

Johanesberg 2 nights

Drive to kruger stay for 3 nights

Drive to Durban stay for 2 nights

Fly to cape town and stay for a few nights 2:

Then do the garden route and stay for 2-3 nights in a couple diff places of garden route?

Then go back to cape town and stay res t of the time there: 7 nights

Does that sound right?! HELP!

Boston...
Level Contributor
359 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 3 weeks in South Africa, help with itinerary

Have you considered adding a night or two to Kruger. This way you could also drive the Panorama Route and experience the Blyde River Canyon.

Driving to Durban for two nights (it has a rich and vibrant Indian vibe but it is somewhat diffuse and not as concentrated as it used to be in the old Victoria Street/Indian Market area).

Fly to Port Elizabeth

Drive Garden Route to Cape Town and end up spending 4-5 nights there.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Heeten, Owner, Swagat at Kruger Park Lodge

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
1,886 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 3 weeks in South Africa, help with itinerary

Just an idea, maybe stop in Northern KZN instead of Durban then fly to Cape Town? Would cut out another city and Places like Tembe Elephant Park and the St Lucia Wetlands (world heritage site) are unique. I wouldn't try to do too much, rather plan a return trip.

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
2,414 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 3 weeks in South Africa, help with itinerary

The OP wants to go to KZN for Indian heritage for which I think they do have to go further than St Lucia. PT, My comment on your proposed itinerary: delighted you're driving to Durbs, you'll see a bit of the province. Will whet your appetite for your next trip;-) . Try to take 20-30 minutes and go into one of the small towns en route to check out the Indian business area. A lot of South Africans of Indian origin became small retailers often living over the shop, so there are distinctive architectural styles to be seen. You can see the same sort of thing in Durban of course but on a much larger scale so I'm thinking the small-town version could be an interesting point of comparison. Just have your streetwise antenna up - a lot of small town centres are pretty seedy.

Edited: 08 January 2013, 09:37
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
62 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 3 weeks in South Africa, help with itinerary

Hi everyone!

I like your idea maybe from Durban we can take a flight to Port Elizabeth and then drive to Capetown, going along the Garden Route, and spend our remaining days in Capetown.

1. For the panoramic route, would we be able to do this in a simple small sedan car or would we need a jeep?

2. When we go to the garden route, what areas/places should we stay at (we wanted to do about 3 days at various places). We are not big wine drinkers so that isn't something necessarily looking for.

Is it possible to drive from Krugr to Durban? What is the terrain like for that trip? On google maps it says it is 10 hours. Originally we were thinking of just going back to Johannesburg after Krugr, staying one night there, and then driving to Durban because there is a main highway that takes you directly to Durban.