We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

South Africa - Garden route itinerary thoughts

Lancing, England...
Level Contributor
15 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
South Africa - Garden route itinerary thoughts

Hi

We are thinking of going to SA in September for our honeymoon and have been to Trailfinders, they have suggested the following itinerary:

Fly to Cape Town - stay 4 nights

Hermanus - 2 nights

Montagu - 1 night

Oudsthoorn - 1 night

Plet - 3 nights

Rippons for - 2 nights game viewing

Fly home via Jo'burg.

What are your thoughts on this? is it rushed?

Thanks in advance.

Frankfurt, Germany
Destination Expert
for Garden Route
Level Contributor
2,130 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: South Africa - Garden route itinerary thoughts

First of all congratulation on your upcomming wedding!

We did a similar trip in September and loved it, surely worth a honeymoon.

Not too rushed, however I would reconsider 2 nights in Hermanus (would switch to one night) and would replace Montagu with Franschhoek. The night earned, either spend on Franschhoek, Storms River Mouth or Rippon.

Lancing, England...
Level Contributor
15 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: South Africa - Garden route itinerary thoughts

Thanks for the reply and good wishes!

I've been thinking about cutting out Montagu but it was our advisors idea to break up the drive to Oustshoorn. Did you go to Oudtshoorn? is one night enough there?

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: South Africa - Garden route itinerary thoughts

I would also include Franschoek, it's a nice little town, definitely worth the visit. and we prefered Knysna to Plettenberg Bay, We stayed 1 night in Oudsthoorn but we arrived there in the morning and had the full day which you'll need if you want to visit an Ostrich farm and the caves.

Lancing, England...
Level Contributor
15 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: South Africa - Garden route itinerary thoughts

Thanks! we originally had knysna instead of Plett but have been told as we didn't have time to stay at both it may be better as it's more central to get to Storms River Mouth for the day. What are your thoughts on that?

Hermanus, South...
Level Contributor
259 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: South Africa - Garden route itinerary thoughts

I would not reduce Hermanus to one night as suggested because Sept is slap bang in the whale season. So keep 2 nights for Hermanus, there is lots to do and see. You may want to also go shark cage diving.

Montagu is a lovely little town, but considering your time frame I suggest you allocate that night or say another night in Ctn or for Franschhoek as suggested. If you stay the extra day in Ctn you could in any event trip to Stellenbosch & Franschhoek for a day.

Traveling from Hermanus to Oudtshoorn is fairly easy and you will arrive say late pm. Next day do the caves,ostriches,wildlife ranch, et al and then drive down to Plet. Thus one night in Oudtshoorn is okay

Yes, Plet is closer to Storms River, Birds of Eden and some other sights than Knysna. Although the two towns are only 37km apart, the road passes through many built up areas meaning there are constant speed restrictions.

I would imagine you are flying to Jhb from George airport? There is an airfield at Plet, but I have no idea what type of flights operate.

Good luck

W

Frankfurt, Germany
Destination Expert
for Garden Route
Level Contributor
2,130 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: South Africa - Garden route itinerary thoughts

Plett has the better beach and is closer to Storms River Mouth. Other than that Knysna is bigger, more charming and quirkier. It is a 30 minuted drive. To make it short Plett is better located whereas Knysna is the better location.

7. Re: South Africa - Garden route itinerary thoughts

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 January 2014, 07:18