We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
138 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary

We are looking to go to South Africa and Botswana end of April for about 3 weeks. Looking at different accommodation/ viewing experiences in the three areas for game viewing.

This is what I have planned, any feedback or help would be appreciated.

Arrive Johannesburg

Fly to George

Spend a day or 2 around Knysna and Oudtshoorn. (Self Drive)

Cape Town for 2-3 nights

Fly Cape Town to Kruger

2 nights in Kruger

Fly Kruger to Okavango Delta

3 nights in Delta

Fly to Chobe

2 nights in Chobe

Fly / Drive to Vic Falls

2 nights at Vic Falls

Rovos rail from Vic Falls to Pretoria

Fly home from Johannesburg.

Suggestions for places to stay?

Have we included too many game parks?

Best part of Delta and Chobe to stay?

Any suggestions for companies to book this through?

Thanks

Naracoorte
Level Contributor
2,861 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary

Sounds good but only two nights in Kruger is hardly worth the flight. That is really only one full day. Same for the other destinations. By the time you factor in all the flights or transfers you lose the best part of a day each time. So really you only have two days in the delta and one full day in Chobe and a day and half in Vic Falls. I don't think you will do justice to any of these places. I would consider dropping the train trip and adding the expense and several days to the three parks or lengthening your trip or leaving Bots and VF for another time.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
138 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary

Thanks for your quick response. The train and Botswana are a must.

If anything I would drop Kruger as long as the game viewing is usually just as good in the Delta and Chobe.

If we increased our time in each park by one night would that be better?

Just worried that we would then have too much game viewing?

Thanks

Naracoorte
Level Contributor
2,861 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary

Another night at each park would definitely be better. It all comes down to personal preferences in the end. Our thing is wildlife viewing so we always spend a lot of time in parks. If it is not your main focus then you might be satisfied with less time. It is just a lot of hassle and expense flying and driving to only spend a very small amount of time actually at a camp.

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,473 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary

A couple of questions.. When you mention Kruger.. are you thinking of the Park? Or one of the reserves outside Kruger? In either case, it does seem like a lot of time and expense just for 2 nights, so 3 at least would start to sound reasonable.

But moving from there to the Okavango Delta is a little more complicated than your itinerary suggests. You first must return to Johannesburg - and you would not be able to continue to Maun that same day in time to then fly from Maun to the Delta. After you finish at Chobe there are daily transfers to Victoria Falls that can be arranged. Inexpensive and easy.

Dave Patterson - Owner - The Africa Safari

Edited: 24 January 2013, 13:23
Hermanus, South...
Level Contributor
259 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary

Potentially a wonderful trip. I do think we can fine tune a bit to allow for a more relaxed trip and better value at certain places.

Kruger is unique in its own way as are the Okavango and Chobe. You should not rush through any one. Since you say Bots & Rovos train is a must I suggest you skip Kruger as one day in the park and the effort and cost is not really practical. Add that time to Chobe. or an extra night in Chobe and another for the delta. Chobe allows land based game viewing and exceptional river cruizes with amazing close up photography.

You can easily drive the 70km from Kasane (at Chobe river) to VF, have plenty of time for the falls and the town, overnight and hop on the train next day I.e only stay one night. This will allow you to factor another day elsewhere - perhaps the delta or Ctn?. Remember: Less is more

Table View, South...
Level Contributor
1,031 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary

In the same vein flying into George and just spending 2 days to see Knysna and Oudshoorn is a waste of money and time. I would suggest that you skip this for another time and add the time to Cape Town.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
138 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary

Thanks Lengau and Willem. We were worried about leaving Kruger because we al least want to give ourselves the best chance of seeing the "big 5"! Will leave Kruger out.

We were told by a Cape Town tour agent that we only needed two nights in the "Garden Route" . We were originally going to fly into Port Elzabeth and take 3-4 days to get to Cape Town and spend 4 days in Cape Town and she said we shouldn't waste our time going as far as Elizabeth - just fly to George.!

So, how did this sound:- 7 days around Cape Town and the Garden Route, 7 - 8 days in the Delta and Chobe area and 1or 2 nights at the falls, the rovos rail and then home. Does that soound a better use of time and money?

Any suggestions for good agents to try and book this through? We would only need the Delta and Chobe through an agent as we can do the rest ourselves. Thanks again for your help

Table View, South...
Level Contributor
1,031 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Itinerary

Fly into Port Elizabeth and rent the car there, more flight options than George.

Drive to Knysna and stay 3 nights. Leave early the 4th morning and drive to Oudshoorn. Stay the night and drive the R62 to Cape Town.

The above is not the ideal way to do it but fits into your time frame.

Ideally you want to drive from PE and spend at least 1 night at Stormsriver. From there to Knysna and spend at least 3 nights. Then go to Oudshoorn and spend 2 nights, this will give you 1.5 days to see the sites around Oudshoorn.

Do a leisurely drive down the R62, with lots of stops and spend 1 night in Montague by the Hot Springs. Complete the drive to Cape Town the next day and spend a minimum of 4 nights.

As for the tour agent suggesting you need only 2 nights for the Garden Route...get back to them and suggest that they themselves go and visit the Garden Route as I doubt if they ever have.

Hermanus, South...
Level Contributor
259 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Itinerary

I'm not so great with flight schedules but imagine to get to Okavango after Cape Town you would fly to Jhb and connect for a flight to Maun. I really don't know if there is a direct flight from Ctn. Also: The delta largely consists of the Moremi game reserve and within this area there are private lodges, some only accessible by plane say from Maun. In Maun are a number or tour operators with excursions into Moremi. Maun is about 60 km from the South Gate entrance and best you have 4x4. For names of agents/accommodation I suggest you check out the Botswana forum. At Kasane on the Chobe river I can think of Chobe Safari Lodge and Chobe Marina Lodge. There are others. The former is normally where we catch the pm sunset boat cruise. Also, not sure about possible flights from Maun to Kasane. If there aren't then its a problem. You might want to 'rough' it and pick up a proper safari trip from Maun to Moremi to Savuti to Chobe. It will be camping but a great experience and hardly unlikely that you won't pick up B5 although I have never seen leopard in Chobe(they are there).

Will check out about agents and advise.

Hermanus, South...
Level Contributor
259 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Itinerary

Ok, brushed up on some info.

There are Air botswana flights Ctn to Maun a few times a week. AND there are two flights a week - Tu & Thur- Maun to Kasane. Great, cause that would fit in with the way you plan to schedule.

Next, check out www.go2southafrica.com. for them to package your Botswana & Zim leg. In fact they would probably be able to knock together a full trip.

I hasten to add that I have no experience of this company but am sure you could check them out somewhere on TA. Their website looks good.

Good luck

WK