We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thornybush Game Lodge or Lion Sands River Lodge for us & 9 y

Media, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
14 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Thornybush Game Lodge or Lion Sands River Lodge for us & 9 y

We are traveling with our daughter. This is our list pared down to 2.

I am not sure which is better - the lager, fenced from Krueger TB, or the smaller, unfenced LSRL. I am not really clear on how that impacts game drives being adjacent to Krueger.

Any suggestions?

Flying in/out of the local aiports & transfer...How does that work?

Thanks everyone!

Sheila

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
1,677 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thornybush Game Lodge or Lion Sands River Lodge for us & 9 y

I am also researching for private lodges at Kruger and we are traveling with children.

My understanding is that Lion Sands only allow children 10 and older. I don't know how firm they are about kids' age. You mentioned that you have a 9 year old. But, this may narrow your options down to one. I don't know about the other lodge though.

Media, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
14 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thornybush Game Lodge or Lion Sands River Lodge for us & 9 y

thanks hAPPY! I will dbl check w/the agent!

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,413 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thornybush Game Lodge or Lion Sands River Lodge for us & 9 y

It's a little troubling that you are using an agent who doesn't know the answer to such fundamental questions. Lion Sands does allow children under 9 years of age. Go to this page - www.lionsands.com/onlinereservations.asp - and enter your dates and use the pulldown menu to include your 9-year old, and you will see what rooms/suites are available and what they will cost.

Thornybush is a wonderful game reserve and I use it frequently for my clients. You may never see the fence. The reserve is almost 52 square miles! Lion Sands has a couple of 'plusses' - the river along its southern boundary is one. And the fact it shares traversing lands with next-door Kirkman's Kamp. I also think dining and the 'feel' of the public areas is better. I would normally rate it as a better choice, but I add that you would not be disappointed at Thornybush at all.

And your question about flights and transfers - so basic to your trip. How can an agent not know this? Short response would be that you fly from Johannesburg to Hoedspruit for Thornybush or fly to Nelspruit for Lion Sands. Either lodge will set up the transfers from - and back to - the airport.

Charges range from about $30PP each way at Thornybush to $65 each way for Lion Sands.

Dave Patterson - Owner - The Africa Safari

Edited: 26 January 2013, 14:25
4. Re: Thornybush Game Lodge or Lion Sands River Lodge for us & 9 y

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 January 2014, 05:19