We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best place to safari??!!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
58 posts
90 reviews
Save Topic
best place to safari??!!

Hi, I am travelling with a group of couples and planning on exploring africa early next year, possibly even summitting Kili.

We are looking for anyone who knows Africa well, ie can reccommend the best place to safari. We haven't done alot of research as yet and don't know the difference between the different national parks, so any info would be appreciated!

We are keen photographers so looking for scenic vistas as well as as much wildlife as possible...

As for budget, mid range most likely, clean accommodation, private rooms/bathrooms preferred.

Felleng Day Tours
Safaris, Cultural Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Ingrid's Safaris - Day Tour
Safaris, Private Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
2,008 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best place to safari??!!

Hello and I am guessing you will be inundated with suggestions of Kruger Park assuming you are looking at South Africa. I spend a lot of time in KwaZulu Natal and when there last year there was a photographic group staying at Tembe Elephant Park. The guests had travelled from all over Africa to have the chance of seeing some of Africas largest Elephants including a small number of genuine tuskers. The scenery in the province is varied and stunning.

National Parks allow self driving and are generally self catering. Where as private reserves tend to take care of everything...game drives, food, drinks. This though varies from place to place. II contribute to a web site you might find interesting thats all free information.

Mark - Owner - SafariKZN

Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best place to safari??!!

Best place to safari?? Now that's a big question and very dependent on many factors. I am from South Africa and have been helping people with there trips for many years. If you would like to chat through various options you are welcome to call me anytime.

If you are planning to climb Kili then a safari in the Serengeti would make the most sense. You can combine this with a visit to the Ngorongoro Crater which is one of Africa's most impressive natural wonders. The Serengeti National Park offers incredible game viewing opportunities. Depending on how many couples you are, you may be able to do a private guided tour of Tanzania which works really well as a group. Ending your holiday with some time relaxing on the island of Zanzibar would be a very welcomed end to your journey.

There are so many factors to consider when planning a trip to Africa so it is best to speak to an expert to understand your options.

Let me know if I can be of more help.

Kind regards

Kathryn - I Found Africa

Cape Town, South...
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
676 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best place to safari??!!

Kruger National Park! Check out SANParks.org for information.

Kruger National...
Level Contributor
2,029 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: best place to safari??!!

Sorry, I am going to agree - KRUGER NATIONAL PARK. It really is world famous for a reason, and it would be such a pity to travel all the to this side of the planet and not visit the Kruger.

There are many different options to suit many different budgets, and the landscape is second to none. The safaris (if you choose to stay at a lodge) are conducted in open sided 4x4 vehicles, rather than vans with an extendable roof as in other parts of Africa. The lodges are generally small and intimate in South Africa, with the ones in other parts of Africa being far more hotel like.

So, yes, in my opinion - Kruger beats them all!

All the best,

Cape Town, South...
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
676 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: best place to safari??!!

As you can see SA is the only megadiverse country in terms of nature that is a major Big 5 safari country! Much of this diversity is the plant species of the Cape Floral Kingdom, but it is also the great number of mammal species in the north-east.

My favorite safari is self driving in Kruger... Checkout SANParks.org

A first timer may prefer a private safari though with twice daily drives, in order to learn some basic signs to look out for. For example, certain birds and monkeys emit warning sounds when a predator is in eyeshot, eg the "Go away bird". It might be nice to go to a private reserve first in order to watch how the ranger listens and reacts to such signs - then when you self drive, you can do the same and maximize your game spotting odds!

6. Re: best place to safari??!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 February 2014, 06:18
Follow this conversation!
Get notified when a new reply comes in.
Follow now