We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car rental: manual transmission in South Africa?

california
Level Contributor
10 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
car rental: manual transmission in South Africa?

so we are used to automatic transmission, but know how to drive a manual. that is not a problem. But in rentaing a car in South Africa, concerned about where the clutch is located, etc. is everything backwards? Has anybody made this transition and found it easy or for safety reasons should we pay the addtional dollars and rent an automatic?

Naracoorte
Level Contributor
2,861 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: car rental: manual transmission in South Africa?

Clutch left foot. Accelerator right foot. Gear shift left hand. :)

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
4,068 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: car rental: manual transmission in South Africa?

Making the transition for shifting is quick and easy. I try to not drive at night when being tired has on rare occasions had me reverting to the right side. I usually keep saying to myself, "Stay left", while driving. You'll likely acclimate quickly, and driving in SA is fun and easy, adding to the adventure of being there.

South Africa
Level Contributor
1,423 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: car rental: manual transmission in South Africa?

You can rent a car with automatic gear here too.

I drive an automatic here in SA, great.

Ontario, CAN
Level Contributor
491 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: car rental: manual transmission in South Africa?

We rented an automatic, although more cost, but it has made the transition to the "other side" much easier. We are putting on many miles so happy not to have to deal with the standard trans!

5. Re: car rental: manual transmission in South Africa?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 February 2014, 06:15