We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on Itinerary

singapore
Level Contributor
322 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Advice on Itinerary

We are planning a trip to SA towards the end of April. Here's our initial thoughts:

Day 1 - Arrive JNB 7am. Fly to Victoria Falls at 10.50am. Stay VF.

Day 2 - Victoria Falls

Day 3 - Fly Victoria Falls to Kruger NP. Stay in KNP.

Day 4 - KNP

Day 5 - KNP

Day 6 - Fly from KNP to George (via JNB). Drive to Knysna

Day 7 - Knysna

Day 8 - Oudthorn

Day 9 - Cape Town

Day 10 - Cape Town

Day 11 - Fly home from CPT in the morning

I realised that I am only skimming the surface and may not do justice to these places, but as a first visit, I like to do a sampler and maybe in future have more visits. My question is if there is a better way of doing the above. There are not many direct flights between the places I want to go so I do find that I may be spending quite a bit of time at the JNB airport. We do not plan to drive around JNB but we will be driving after we get to George. Any suggestions or advice?

SA
Level Contributor
54 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice on Itinerary

You are right you are doing a lot. I would rather skip George and go from the Kruger directly to Cape Town and spend more time in Cape Town,

Hermanus, South...
Level Contributor
259 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice on Itinerary

The itinerary you propose is very nice,but logistically to schedule it in the short timeframe of your visit has the problems you mention. You are correct in that you would spend much time through airports. The main 'culprit' is the VF leg and traversing back from Kruger to get to George. Next you are allowing far to little time for Ctn. So either extend your trip or cut out one of the excursions.

VF is good in April because the Zambezi is rising until it peaks in May. But you do have the cost for going there.

The Garden route is also prime and traveling that part of the country will enhance your appreciation of SA as regards scenic beauty, lifestyle and our people.

It's a tough call, but maybe put VF on the to do list for your next visit and factor more time into Ctn.

WK

Frankfurt, Germany
Destination Expert
for Garden Route
Level Contributor
2,030 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice on Itinerary

I agree with salouis. Skip the Garden Route. Though beautiful and scenic, dont underestimate the distances and the driving time. CT has more than enough sights and experiences for 4 - 5days, certainly more worthy of your short time in Africa than the hours spend on the road from the Garden Route to CT.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
951 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice on Itinerary

I would keep VF, it is amazing. Would skip Garden Route and spend more time in CT.

singapore
Level Contributor
322 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice on Itinerary

Thanks all for your advice. I will probably skip Victoria Falls for this trip.

Another question I have is if I were to do a morning game drive (finishes about 9am, I think), will I be able to drive the Panoramic Route (Blyde Canyon) and be back at Hoedspruit Airport in time for a 18:45 flight to JNB?

singapore
Level Contributor
322 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice on Itinerary

Sorry, I meant the MQP airport.

7. Re: Advice on Itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 February 2014, 06:17