We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bookings

toronto
Level Contributor
5 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Bookings

How far in advance should you book safaris

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
3,529 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Bookings

Depends to an extent on the time of year you are visiting South Africa also whether you are thinking of private game reserves or in Kruger National Park.

In general terms, you should book as far in advance as possible. Some places are fully booked many months in advance, particularly in "high season".

For example, popular Kruger National Park camps like Lower Sabie say from November through to April can be fully booked 12 months in advance.

Many private game reserves take only a small number of guests (in some cases a max of 8 guests at a time, others between 16 - 24) , which of course is good if you are one of them, but also means they can also very quickly get booked

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
1,676 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bookings

We booked our private game lodge for a 3 nights stay in late July just a couple of weeks ago.

I also booked 2 nights at two rest camps inside Kruger for late July last week. We had wanted to stay at Lower Sabie camp, but it is already not available for our stay. So, we booked one night at Olifants and one night at Skukuza. The more ideal lodge types were already not available. So, I had to book what I could get at these two camps.

So, yes, book as soon as you can.

Berkhamsted, United...
Level Contributor
1,398 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bookings

We'll be staying at Londolozi in August and when I first started investigating it last April/May, my preferred dates were already unavailable, 15 months in advance. We'd planned the Londolozi visit at the start of our trip but had to replan and put it at the end.

When planning your trip and lookng at options, I'd say the safari part is the bit to focus on first if your mind is set on particular lodgings.

Edited: 17 February 2013, 09:51
San Jose, California
Level Contributor
1,676 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bookings

Hey, we also booked at Londolozi for this late July. We booked it just 2 or 3 weeks ago. So, 6 months in advance. Our first set of 3 nights were not available, so we did have to shift our travel dates by 2 nights.

These lodges have so few rooms, it just depends, but the earlier the better.

If you are particular about which private lodge you want to stay at in Kruger, then book the lodge first, then plan the rest of your trip around it.

We are traveling with children under 16, so lots of lodges won't have us. So, if you are traveling with children, keep in mind that your choices will be limited as well.

5. Re: Bookings

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 February 2014, 06:16