We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Confused regarding vaccinations

Chichester, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Confused regarding vaccinations

Hi All,

I am travelling to Vic Falls (zambia side) then onto JO'burg through to cape town along the garden route.

I have been to the doctors and they have told me that I don't need my yellow fever vaccination, only malaria tablets. My friend went to a different doctors and they said exactly the same. HOWEVER, I have been researching online and found that people have said we HAVE to have it.

I am a little confused!!

PLEASE HELP!!

South Africa
Level Contributor
1,412 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Confused regarding vaccinations

You only need yellolw fever for South Africa. I donot know about zambia.

You need yellow fever, if you are traveling from a yellol fever contry and fhen entering S.A.

Malaria tablets you donot need for SA as you traveling to Johannesburg and Cape Town.

Google.co.za for a travel clinicmin SA

Cheers

Annemieke

Owner of Tatch22 country guesthouse, Johannesburg

Pickering, United...
Level Contributor
3,232 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Confused regarding vaccinations

There is no medical requirement or recommendation from the WHO or other medical bodies for you to have a yellow fever vaccination for your trip.

HOWEVER, the South African government have decreed that travellers will only be admitted coming from Zambia if they HAVE been vaccinated against yellow fever (or hold a valid exemption certificate). Hence the confusion and seemingly contradictory advice from your medical practitioner.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
3,810 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Confused regarding vaccinations

If you go to Zambia and then on to SA you will need a YF jab for entry to SA. You don't need the YF jab for entry to Zambia.

BTW, if you visited the falls only on the Zimbabwe side, then you wouldn't need the YF shot for entry to SA.

Chichester, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Confused regarding vaccinations

great this helps me out a lot, thanks so much everyone

5. Re: Confused regarding vaccinations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 March 2014, 06:16