We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Two week itinerary Port Elizabeth to Cape Town (too rushed?)

London
Level Contributor
1,472 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Two week itinerary Port Elizabeth to Cape Town (too rushed?)

See below. This is fairly rough and more to get an idea for how long we needed in total. I'd really appreciate anyone to point out any errors (places missed, obvious doubling back on ourself, long drives). We definitelty have one extra day we can squeeze in somewhere, and possibly two, where should we stay for longer?

My fiance and I are in our late 20s/early 30s and this is by de facto our honeymoon so want it to be a little bit special. We are both active and like a mixture of sightseeing, hiking, activities but not so much museums or gift shops! Any advice would be appreciate as I'm not being able to spend the same amount of time I do normally for holidays due to wedding preparation!

7/24/2013 Depart London

7/25/2013 Arrive JoBurg (0905), fly to Port Elizabeth, pick up hire car relax

7/26/2013 Addo Elephant sanctuary (PE)

7/27/2013 Sand dunes/Boardwalk/City/Lighthouse drive to Jeffrey's Bay (watch the surfers, walk along the beach) (Pletensberg Bay)

7/28/2013 Whale watching/sea kayaking (Pletensberg Bay)

7/29/2013 Natures Valley (coastal scenary), Tsitsikamma NP; temperate rainforest (hiking) (PB)

7/30/2013 Garden Route , Knysa (coastal scenary/lagoon cruise), lots of nice hiking trails around Knysha, also mountain biking trails (Mossell Bay/Kynsha/George tbd)

7/31/2013 Day trip to Oudtshoorn (Ostrich capital of the world), Ostrich farm, Meerkat Adventure (meerkat sanctuary) (Mossell Bay/Kynsha/George tbd)

8/1/2013 Beach scenary, caves, drive to Wine Country (Stellanbosch)

8/2/2013 Wine tasting, mountain scenery (Stellanbosh)

8/3/2013 Drive to Cape Town, Tabletop mountain, Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens (Cape Town stay for 4 nights)

8/4/2013 Penguins, Cape Horn, Boulder Beach

8/5/2013 City/waterfront/township

8/6/2013 Robben Island

8/7/2013 Leave cape town for 4 or 5 nights in Kruger

London, United...
Level Contributor
399 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Two week itinerary Port Elizabeth to Cape Town (too rushed?)

Nice itinerary in my opinion but I also like a driving holiday with different places most nights. The winter weather may not be great of course.I would have combined Cape Town with Kruger or northern KZN area for lovely weather.

Edited: 12 March 2013, 22:07
Table View, South...
Level Contributor
1,022 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Two week itinerary Port Elizabeth to Cape Town (too rushed?)

This first part of the trip does seem very rushed. Given that you are going to Kruger perhaps you should cut Addo. Personally I would also cut Jeffreys Bay, unless you are an avid surfer.

So land in PE and then drive to Stormsriver for 1, recommend 2, night. As Natures Valley, Plettenberg Bay and Knysna are within 50 minutes from one another I would base myself in Knysna and do day trips to Plet and Natures Valley.

I would also overnight in Oudshoorn, meaning you can leave Knysna after lunch, and the drive the R62 to Stellenbosch rather than double back to go to Mosselbay. The stretch of the N2 between Mosselbay and Caledon is rather boring, alleviated only be Swellendam and surrounds.

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
1,131 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Two week itinerary Port Elizabeth to Cape Town (too rushed?)

Seeing that you will spend 5 nights in the Kruger after this part of your trip, I'd leave Addo out unless you add another night in Addo for a different experience to Kruger. But I'd rather add the extra day or two at the Kruger part of your trip so that you can explore the Panorama route.

I'd actually recommend you spend the first night in Jeffreys bay, it's only 90km from PE on mostly highways. If you don't want to drive the 90km spend the first day/afternoon in PE, a beach with nice dunes etc is definitely Sardinia bay, but it's very isolated, the boardwalk etc is nothing special in my opinion. Then the next morning you can drive to Jbay for a nice walk on the beach...surfing hotspot is at supertubes.

In Jbay a nice restaurant for lunch is the Greek or for dinner Viswijf restaurant. From Jbay you can move on to Storms river mouth (approx 100km from jbay), where I recommend you spend atleast one night , from here you can walk part of the famous Otter hiking trail, suspension bridge, watch the waves breaking against the rocks etc. Other than that your itinery looks good, basing ourselves in either plet/knysna for all the activities in the area. Another activity you can look at which is quite alot of fun is treetop canopy tours.

stormsriver.com/canopy_tour_tree_top_tour_st…

Have fun!

London, United...
Level Contributor
399 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Two week itinerary Port Elizabeth to Cape Town (too rushed?)

Whoops I missed the Kruger bit tucked away at the end.

London
Level Contributor
1,472 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Two week itinerary Port Elizabeth to Cape Town (too rushed?)

I think an overnight at Oudshoorn makes sense looking at the map.

Addo Elephant sanctuary does sound good, do people think it's worth dropping that to give an extra day on the garden route especially as it now looks like we will do 5 nights at a safari lodge in Kruger (buy 4 get one free!)?

Table View, South...
Level Contributor
1,022 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Two week itinerary Port Elizabeth to Cape Town (too rushed?)

That depends on your preferences. If safari is your main must do then no otherwise yes spend the extra day in the garden route.

Kent
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Two week itinerary Port Elizabeth to Cape Town (too rushed?)

Are we confused here ? Addo National Park or Knysna Elephant sanctuary ? I would recommend both to be honest, if you have time. You should be in PE by early afternoon, Addo NP is only 45 mins from here, even if you just go for a drive around for a couple of hours it's worth it.

Oudtshoorn is inland so no beach here, Cango Caves is here to. On route from here to the Winelands is Montagu & it's hot springs for a refreshing break. From here you could stop at Franschhoek over Stellenbosch.

Johannesburg
Level Contributor
89 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Two week itinerary Port Elizabeth to Cape Town (too rushed?)

I agree with previous posters that a night or 2 at Storms River is a must. If you want to do the meerkat experience then you must spend the night at Oudtshorn as you have to be at the meeting point before daybreak - recommend de Zeekoe where you will get a discount on the meerkat experience as well as great accommodation and food. Also dont forget the Cango Caves when in Oudtshoorn.

Enjoy your trip.

London
Level Contributor
1,472 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Two week itinerary Port Elizabeth to Cape Town (too rushed?)

We've reversed out itinerary and I've taken on some of the comments on here on board. Is there anything obviously an issue with the below:

13th - 18th August: Cape Town, on 18th drive to Franschhoek (2 nights in Frans)

19th August: Wine tasting etc Franschhoek

20th AUgust: Scenic drive via R62 to Oudtshoorn (2 nights in Oudts)

21st AUgust: Meerkats and caves in Oudshoorn

22nd August: Ostrich farm (maybe), drive to Kynsha (3 nights in Kynsha)

23rd/24th August: Lagoon, hiking, elephant sanctuary, extreme activities

25th: Drive to Stormsriver, whale watching at PB (2 nights in Stormsriver)

26th: Natures Valley, Tsitsikamma NP

27th: Leisurely drive to Port Elizabeth for mid-afternoon flight to Joburg

Are there any particular Garden Route highlights we have missed?

KENT
Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Two week itinerary Port Elizabeth to Cape Town (too rushed?)

I am planning a similar trip in February - so how did your trip go. Would you / did you make any changes that you would recommend....or any other general tips

thanks