We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Re Malaria

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
118 posts
84 reviews
Save Topic
Re Malaria

Hi,

We are scheduled to visit Victoria Falls(Zimbabwe), Cape Town, Hazyview and Kruger( Ngala Lodge) end March early April. As we live in Sri Lanka most of the year , I am wondering if Malaria prevention is an absolute must. We have never used Malarone?? before and not too keen on taking it. I know it is our personal choice but wondered if we could just use repellants and suitable clothing to avoid getting stung.

Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
4,238 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Re Malaria

End March, early April is Autumn, the dry season begins, so there is less rain = less standing water= fewer mosquitos.

Personally, I have never used malaria prophylaxis in Kruger Park, even in high summer ( malaria season).

Between dusk and dawn,I would cover up, ankle to wrist and use repellants on exposed skin.

In my accommodation, at night, keep the air conditioner on as cold a setting as I can tolerate, or if there is a ceiling fan, set it to as fast a setting as I can tolerate.

Mosquitos do not like cold or "windy" conditions.

Ultimately your decision.

Enjoy your visist

Randburg, Gauteng...
Level Contributor
977 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Re Malaria

Hello, i agree with Gavin, i have never used any medication and travel constantly to Kruger areas. You can also buy very good products at the supermarkets and at the airport. They have sprays, lotions, and even bracelets which i saw in the chemist. I also use candles which come in a tin, which you light and it keeps them away from you. I wear socks, closed shoes, and spray my feet, legs, arms and put lotion on my face and neck. I dont get bitten... so it seems to work.

Lyn - owner - Thorntree Tours and Safaris

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
118 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Re Malaria

Thank you so much. This is what I thought we could do and now will do!

4. Re: Re Malaria

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 March 2014, 05:15