We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggested Itinerary for South Africa + Swaziland?

Singapore
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Suggested Itinerary for South Africa + Swaziland?

I'm keen on visiting South Africa and also take a visit to Swaziland. What would be an ideal route/itinerary, as well as what are some MUST-DOs in these areas, I'd like to weave in a white-water rafting too since I intend to go in December (monsoon season?). My expected duration will be between 10-14days. Budget: $4000-$6000 (inclusive of flight ticket)

In addition, I was wondering which tour agencies in Africa (reliable and cost-wise reasonable) would you recommend for a trip like this? I am looking for a small group travel, which can provide both lodging, food as well as transport. Preferably a mix between outdoor camp as well hotel stays would be ideal. Being my first visit to Africa, I won't say I'd be a daredevil, but I'm keen on experiencing Africa as much as I can.

Thank you in advance for anyone who can help me on this~! (:

Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
4,117 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggested Itinerary for South Africa + Swaziland?

There is no Monsoon season in South Africa.

I would leave Swaziland out, and spend more time in one of the other attractive and interesting areas within South Africa

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Macau, Holiday Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
27,260 posts
5,499 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggested Itinerary for South Africa + Swaziland?

Hello funkybratz

Welcome to the South Africa forums.

Its actually perfectly fine to travel around South Africa independently if you are coming with a partner, friend or family. However, if you are visiting as a solo traveler, you might prefer the tour simply to have some company. I would suggest starting your trip planning with Cape Town and perhaps a bit of time around the Peninsula and the Garden Route.

Then, make time for Kruger National Park (KNP), one of the premiere safari and wildlife destinations in the world. Just outside of KNP there is also the Blyde River Canyon, which is the third largest in the world and the largest living (green) canyon in the world. You can make a self-drive here along the very good Panorama Route or you can take a tour to do so.

The good news is that you can do all of these things and more on your own quite easily or tours can be arranged if you prefer to travel that way.

Here is a trip lists of attractions and things to do that we love in Cape Town that might be useful.

Cape Town Top Attractions (Our Top Attractions)

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i32409-Cape_Tow…

Also, here is link worth reading if you are interested in having a safari experience while in South Africa

Kruger National Park (Self-drive vs. Private Reserve)

tripadvisor.com/…REVIEWS

Lastly, if you want to see Blyde River Canyon, then these two links might be worth a look/see.

Panorama Route – Blyde River Canyon

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i30411-Panorama…

Blyde River Canyon

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g312628-d317…

Hope this is helpful and that you enjoy your trip planning.

Singapore
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggested Itinerary for South Africa + Swaziland?

Hello Gavin and Bradjill,

Thank you very much for your replies! :D

May I find out if you have any recommendations on tour agencies I can sign up with or would you suggest that I book them only when I am in Africa itself? I am unable to drive so I think self-drive is out of the option.

In addition, I am interested in making a trip to Victoria Falls. Is it possible to do the white-water rafting there? Another objective is to see the Big 5 and have a safari experience.

As such, what route would you suggest for my itinerary? Should I make my way from Johannesburg airport or Cape Town?

Thank you once again for your help!

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Macau, Holiday Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
27,260 posts
5,499 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggested Itinerary for South Africa + Swaziland?

There are some helpful tour operators that actually volunteer quite a bit of their time supporting these South Africa forums on Tripadvisor. They are very knowledgeable of South Africa and provide accurate and helpful advice to novice travellers. I would start by contacting one of them to start.

If you browse through some of the forum posts here you'll find them quite easily as they all declare themselves and their agency with each of their posts.

Btw... just had a decent meal in Little India in your neck of the world tonight. Too hot in Singapore, for my liking but we always enjoy weekends in S'pore.

Randburg, Gauteng...
Level Contributor
977 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggested Itinerary for South Africa + Swaziland?

Hello, there are operators who provide exactly what you are looking for. They offer smaller groups with around 10 - 20 people and tours start from 14 to 21 days. Look at Sunway Safaris, they will have a list of all their options and availability.

Lyn - Owner - Thorntree Tours and Safaris

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
1,797 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggested Itinerary for South Africa + Swaziland?

Hello and if you want to go to Swaziland then I see no reason why you shouldn't? Cape Town is a lovely city, but it is just another city on the sea. Everyone always jumps in to with 'go to Kruger'. Why not fly down to Durban then make your way up to Swaziland? There are loads of lovely very 'African' places up around Swaziland. Tembe Elephant Park has some of the last genuine Tusker elephants in the whole of Africa. Hluhluwe-Imfolozi to is a wonderful place with the Big 5 plus regular cheetah & wild dog sightings. What about canoeing on the Pongola River amongst hippos & crocodiles at White Elephant safari lodge? You may also have a chance to go whale watching or turtle viewing off that coast depending on your time of year. Thonga beach lodge is a very special place. Just a few things to consider but there really is a lot of choice with South Africa!

Mark - Owner - SafariKZN

7. Re: Suggested Itinerary for South Africa + Swaziland?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 April 2014, 06:17