I'm about to sketch a road trip for two heading from Joburg to Cape Town. The idea was to hire a car and then spend 2-3 weeks on the road. Probably in late July to mid August.
We are very interested in wildlife and hiking. Cities are also nice, but not for too long.
Since this will be the first time for me in Africa and I, yet, don't know too much about SA, I'm asking for your comments, tips, hints and other helpful ideas.
Here is what I already have in my mind:
- Panorama Route
- Kruger NP
- Ngwenya Glass workshop
- Mlilwane Wildlife Sanctuary (Swaziland)
- Isimangaliso Wetland Park
- Kwazulu Natal coast
- Drakensberg Mountains
- Addo Elephant NP
- Tsitsikamma NP
- Garden Route
- Cango Caves
- Route 62
- Cape Agulhas
- Table Mountain NP
- Cape of Good Hope
- Cape Town
Some of the questions I have:
- What would you add/drop and why?
- What kind of car would be needed?
- Which (scenic) routes should we take?
- Camping or B&B?
- If B&B will you have to book or can you just show up?
- What will be the climate along the way in July/August?
- Durban isn't in the list, would you say we need to add it?
- Can you add in ideas for Swaziland and Lesotho?
- Something I would have to know about road trippin in SA?
- Will 2-3 weeks be fine?