We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Using 200 rand banknotes

London
Level Contributor
494 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Using 200 rand banknotes

A (small) lodge where we will be staying next month has warned us that they won't accept 200 rand banknotes. They don't say why, but I assume that it may still be because of the old fear of forgeries. I had thought that this concern had disappeared with the most recent issue of banknotes, but perhaps not.... Do we need to be prepared for 200 rand notes to be a possible problem elsewhere on our trip, eg in more rural/remote areas, or is this just a one-off issue for one particular lodge?

Table View, South...
Level Contributor
1,022 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Using 200 rand banknotes

I don't think they can refuse as it is legal tender. Had a look at the Reserve Bank web and this statement is made under the heading of legal tender.

"Legal tender refers to banknotes or coin that may be legally offered in payment of an obligation and that a creditor is obliged to accept"

Harare, Zimbabwe
Level Contributor
809 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Using 200 rand banknotes

I am guessing that they might be referring to the "OLD" SA R 200 notes, although this shouldn't be a problem. I would think that they are all out of circulation. There was a problem with these notes being a target of counterfeit, but I haven't really heard much about this lately. I use theses notes often and have never had a problem or had them refused.

Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
3,971 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Using 200 rand banknotes

I have not encountered a problem tendering R200.00 notes, especially since the introduction of the new "Madiba" notes.

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,359 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Using 200 rand banknotes

And in my little area, we almost never see them, anyway. I do not remember the last time I had a R200 note.

Edited: 10 April 2013, 20:41
London
Level Contributor
494 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Using 200 rand banknotes

If you buy rand in the UK, R200 notes are (to a large extent) all you can get. So glad to hear they shouldn't be a problem in most places, anyway. Still remember the entirely-unexpected difficulties we had a few years back in Namibia with the old issue of R200 notes....

Harare, Zimbabwe
Level Contributor
809 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Using 200 rand banknotes

Have you thought about using your bank card at the ATM instead of buying bank notes?

London
Level Contributor
494 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Using 200 rand banknotes

Certainly will be using ATMs too. But I always like to arrive with plenty of cash, just in case of ATM/card issues at the start of a big and/or off-the-beaten track trip. And I was lucky enough to buy my rand here in the UK at the peak of the recent rand weakness, which saved 5% over today's ATM rate. Not a crucial difference, obviously, in the context of the cost of the whole trip - but it all helps!

SOUTH AFRICA
Level Contributor
2,533 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Using 200 rand banknotes

Yesterday a bank in South Africa refused to accept old R200 notes that were included in a deposit that I wanted to make.

Tanya * owner * Africa Direct

Harare, Zimbabwe
Level Contributor
809 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Using 200 rand banknotes

Any saving is worth having! More money to spend on holiday :-)

10. Re: Using 200 rand banknotes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 April 2014, 05:17