We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

14 day African trip

Omagh, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
14 day African trip

Myself and my Girlfriend would really like to take a trip to south africa this september! we where thinking of around 14 days and we had a budget of around £1100 each after our flights we are both in our early 20s and enjoy active holidays rather than laying at a pool or on a beach all day we love to experience new things and cultures!

A few things we would love to do are:

few days safari,

cage diving,

visit robben island,

rafting,

visit table mountain

( we wished to visit victoria falls but have basically ruled this out due to the cost)

any other attractions or activities anyone recommends

I understand our budget and time is quite tight and therefore we may not have the ability to do all our activities, but we do not need top class luxury accomodation, the highlight of the trip would be the safari and we would like to do this properly and not be taken somwhere in a bus we meet many other safari groups witnessing animals from a tarred road, but would prefer to be traveling in a 4x4 off road with branches scraping our arms as such while spotting animals.

All advice, recommendations, ideas etc would be greatly appreciated

Itinerary ideas would be brilliant, pardon us if we are being naive

If anyone thinks we hope for too much and it can not be done please do let us know!!

Many Thanks

Hazyview, South...
Level Contributor
3,763 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 14 day African trip

I do not want to burst your bubble, but the budget will not allow you to have the

<....we would like to do this properly and not be taken somewhere in a bus we meet many other safari groups witnessing animals from a tarred road, but would prefer to be traveling in a 4x4 off road with branches scraping our arms as such while spotting animals...>

experience.

Nevertheless, hiring a car and self-driving to Kruger National Park and staying in one of the SANpark camps will give you the safari of your young life time.

The standard itinerary for a first time SA visitor is:

Arrive JHB, drive to KNP.

from KNP to somwhere along the coast line (St. Lucia e.g.)

From there further south down the garden route to CT. Then either fly back from CT or via JHB.

Very rough, but something to plan from.

Klaus

-Owner Abangane-

Hazyview

Edited: 16 April 2013, 22:33
Hazyview, South...
Level Contributor
3,763 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 14 day African trip

you need to calculate per person per day app. and average:

R500.00 for accommodation (3-4 star)

R150 for car hire (small sedan)

R100 for petrol (depending on your km/day)

R300 for food (lunch/dinner/drinks)

R100 -150 for entrance fees in any national park (for sure not each day but therefor you may do some activities)

Hope this helps.

Klaus

-Owner Abangane-

Hazyview

Edited: 16 April 2013, 22:55
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
27,438 posts
5,647 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 14 day African trip

Safari is something that I would not remove from your list. Cape Town area is fantastic but if all possible make some time (and budget) available for your safari experience in Kruger. Self-drive will be the more budget-friendly means for doing this so best to read up on this sort of safari experience.

Omagh, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 14 day African trip

Thanks for your replys! I have talked to a few more people and done a little research, and pricing etc. I had recieved advice to go to a private game reserve for the real safari experience rather than going to Krugar. I had looked at Shamwari Game reserve, but the prices are 3100ZAR pp per night (which is quite luxurious which we do not need). Is this a reasonable price for a game reserve and are the recommendations correct that a better experience would be a guided tour at a game reserve? Are there any Game reserves any one would recommend?

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
27,438 posts
5,647 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 14 day African trip

Safari experience price range can vary, much having to do with how luxurious the accommodations are and not necessarily how great the wildlife viewing is. If you are mostly interested in the safari rides and don't require luxurious resorts, then look at some of the more cost affordable options.

Up north in Timbevati, I can recommend Gomo Gomo Game Lodge. This is a place we've stayed a couple times, their posted online rates are between 1700-2000 rand per person per day, depending on what time of year you visit. Lodging is pretty good but not fancy, game drives have been very productive. They have been spotting wild dogs quite a lot this spring as well accounting to their facebook updates and leopard sightings are very regular. Here are some pictures and reviews we took from there last summer if interested.

pinterest.com/BradJillTA/…

tripadvisor.com/…REVIEWS

We have also stayed at the Sabie River Bush Lodge, near Hazyview. They have a nice set-up outside the park that might be even more cost effective, they can arrive game drives for you or you can just self drive into KNP.

tripadvisor.com/…REVIEWS

Or you can also just self-drive directly into the park and stay at one of the SANparks campgrounds roundavels (rooms) available.

http://www.sanparks.org/

Hope this is helpful.

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
1,840 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 14 day African trip

Hello and take a look at the free info site that I contribute to. It only covers KwaZulu Natal, but September is a great month to visit. There are lots of private reserves in the province including Nambiti which is Big5 and malaria free. Springbok Lodge is lovely and the tents are stunning. I think its around £100 per person per night. Its close to the Drakensberg Mountains which is a world heritage site and the battlefields of both the Boer & Zulu wars.

Mark - Owner - SafariKZN

7. Re: 14 day African trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 April 2014, 06:18