We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

11 day South Africa Itinerary

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
11 day South Africa Itinerary

Hi,

In August I will be travelling from Cape Town to Jo'burg - we have 11 days in which to do this. There are 4 of us travelling together, all students on a tight budget.

I would like to spend at least 3 days in Cape Town. Ideally I would also like to visit Grahamstown as well as I have some friends living there.

Any ideas on where else to go/how to get around? I have visited Cape Town, the Garden Route and Grahamstown before but have not been further east of GT.

Thanks!

South Africa
Level Contributor
1,650 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 11 day South Africa Itinerary

Hi Ruth, the least expensive way is to simply rent a car and drive yourself around. This is safe and easy to do, but if you prefer not to drive yourself around it is worth contacting a tour company to arrange a custom-made itinerary for the 4 of you. After your 3 days in Cape Town, take your time to drive toward Grahamstown via the Garden Route. There is lots to see and do in this area and you can easily spend 3 days or more exploring this scenic part of South Africa. Close to Port Elizabeth there are some excellent malaria-free safari options you can consider, either in the Addo National Park or on one of the many private game reserves in the area such as Shamwari or Kariega. In Greater Addo there are also a number of excellent lodges such as Gorah Elephant Camp or Kuzuko Lodge, among others.

After Grahamstown, to get to Joburg I would fly from East London rather than drive, as the drive is very long. The first half would be quite scenic, but once you get into the Freestate the scenery is rather plain and flat, and it will take you a full day to drive to Joburg.

I think in 11 days, a combination of Cape Town, the Garden Route, a safari in the Eastern Cape and then ending your trip in Grahamstown would be an enjoyable itinerary.

Good luck with the planning!

Onne from Wild Wings Safaris

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 11 day South Africa Itinerary

Thank you - very helpful!

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,638 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 11 day South Africa Itinerary

On a tight budget, you will need to devote more time on the road in a rental car, than flying, unless a flight is really necessary. For your flights, see if Kulula or Mango has departures that work for your schedule. These are the (sort of) budget airlines in South Africa. I might suggest flying Cape Town to Port Elizabeth, rent a car and go east to one of the moderately expensive safari reserves or even Addo national park. Then continue to Grahamstown.

Dave Patterson - Owner - The Africa Safari

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
1,857 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 11 day South Africa Itinerary

Hello and in August maybe you should consider visiting KwaZulu Natal on the east coast? Its a lovely time of year there, when most other places can be cold and wet. There are loads of things to do, great game reserves, stunning beaches, whale watching, mountains and so much history. Just a suggestion.

Mark - Owner - SafariKZN

5. Re: 11 day South Africa Itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 April 2014, 06:17