We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crime Risk in South Africa vs. Tanzania or Bostswana

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
49 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Crime Risk in South Africa vs. Tanzania or Bostswana

Considering a trip to South Africa for Kruger and then Capetown, flying. Considering crime rates, does anyone have experience there vs. Tanzania or Bostswana trips? South Africa seems more developed, but Cape Town, for instance, seems to have a high crime rate and some risk to tourists. Tanzania seems less developed, but less crime? I know it depends on the parts you are in each country, but any help on this appreciated.

Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
3,861 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Crime Risk in South Africa vs. Tanzania or Bostswana

Millions visit South Africa, and Cape Town, and have no bad experiences.

Crime can happen anywhere in the world.

No tourist would ever go to the high risk areas in any city.

New Orleans, Detroit, and Baltimore are, by the way, higher risk cities than Cape Town, according to some surveys.

Come on over, and relax, and enjoy.

You'll have the time of your life!

Frankfurt, Germany
Destination Expert
for Garden Route
Level Contributor
1,994 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Crime Risk in South Africa vs. Tanzania or Bostswana

Tanzania vs. Botswana vs. South Africa are so different experiences, even though all are in Africa. I would not determine my holiday destination on the crime rate, but on my interests. It is like comparing Barcelona with Prague. Both European cities, all about architecture and culture but completely different

Pickering, United...
Level Contributor
3,232 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Crime Risk in South Africa vs. Tanzania or Bostswana

Look at it this way: Are there more crimes reported each year in Nebraska or New York State? Must be much safer to visit Nebraska then? Surely, it's more to do with the number of folks living there . . .

Now apply the same line of thinking to Botswana (population density 3 people per sq km) and SA (41 people per sq km). Then consider is all of New York State heavily populated? Of course not and tourists visiting Kruger for example will be visiting an area with a very low population density. Plus, is a tourist likely to end up in the worst parts of New York city? Probably not and the same is true in SA.

Lastly, in 2010 over 11.3 million visitors travelled to SA during the World Cup. Was there a huge crime wave? No, the vast majority suffered nothing worse than a bad hangover!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
49 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Crime Risk in South Africa vs. Tanzania or Bostswana

Ok, I get your points. Now all I have to worry about is stolen itms from checked luggage and malaria pills. The former seems a big issue on SSA according to the forums.

Pickering, United...
Level Contributor
3,232 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Crime Risk in South Africa vs. Tanzania or Bostswana

Choose the time of year carefully and no malaria meds for Kruger.

Never had anything taken out of my luggage in the last 20 years and don't shrink wrap my luggage. however, it is old and battered and my address etc is only on the inside so I can't be identified as an affluent Brit (If only . . .). Since I tend to take my older clothes, many of which don't come back with me, then perhaps they have just not found anything they want yet. Anything of value comes in my hand luggage.

Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
3,861 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Crime Risk in South Africa vs. Tanzania or Bostswana

I have dealt with thousands of visitors, in and out of South Africa.

I have yet to encounter one client, who has had stuff stolen from his checked luggage.

I have though, met a lady from Toronto, who had stuff stolen at Toronto airport.... how is it that it is only South Africa that seems to get the bad publicity??

Anyway, always keep valuables in your hand luggage, wherever you travel.

Putting valuable, expensive items in the checked luggage would be just stupid, anywhere in the world.

Don't travel with large amounts of cash, expensive jewellery and your best Armani suits, keep your passport, camera, laptop, and binoculars in your hand luggage.

7. Re: Crime Risk in South Africa vs. Tanzania or Bostswana

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 April 2014, 05:16