We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Yellow fever vaccination okay for 20 month old?

Piracicaba, SP
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Topic
Is Yellow fever vaccination okay for 20 month old?

Is Yellow fever vaccination suitable for babies?

I'm living in Brazil and travelling to Cape town with my 20 month old son.

I just found out they require yellow card for anyone over 1 year old who are coming from Brazil. OMG

I really don't want this vaccine for him because I've heard it's very strong and may cause side effects.

I've spent so much time planning this trip and already bought air ticket etc. but should I just cancel everything?

Does anyone have any advice or experience?

Thanks in advance.

Hazyview, South...
Level Contributor
3,747 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Yellow fever vaccination okay for 20 month old?

I am sure that is a question for your doctor.

Klaus

-Owner Abangane-

Hazyview

Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
4,137 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Yellow fever vaccination okay for 20 month old?

In view of the fact that Yellow Fever is present in Brazil, It would probably be a good idea anyway.

Here are the regulations.

doh.gov.za/docs/…draft_yellowfever.pdf

Ask your doctor. If He/She thinks it too much of a risk, he/she may be able to provide you with an "exemption certificate"

Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
4,137 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Yellow fever vaccination okay for 20 month old?

A few years ago, I was scheduled to meet 4 clients, off the last flight of the day, arriving from Nairobi, just before midnight, and convey them to their hotel.

Only 3 clients emerged into the arrivals area.

Seems the fourth client had left his YF card in his office, back in the U.S.A. and had been refused entry into South Africa.

He managed to telephone his secretary, back in the U.S.A., who then had to get to his office, find his YF card, and fax / e mail it to the Immigration officials here, at OR Tambo.

Luckily, the officials accepted this, and he eventually came through.

As this whole rigmarole took 2 hours longer than the normal time to come through, neither his fellow travellers, nor I were very pleased.

Have the jab, bring the card with you!

Piracicaba, SP
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Yellow fever vaccination okay for 20 month old?

Thanks for your input everyone.

I already talked about yellow fever vaccination with the doctor when we planned a trip to Mexico a few months ago when my son was 11 mo. She said "medically" there is no problem. No surprise b/c Brazil is very medication-oriented country!

But as a mom I don't feel comfortable with this since I've heard YF vaccine is very strong. I don't want to have my son vaccinated if this would make him uneasy with any side effects.

The thing is, no one really need yellow card here in Brazil unless to travel Amazon area.

If anyone have experience or knowledge abt YF vaccination for baby, plz help me.

Thanks!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
3,909 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Yellow fever vaccination okay for 20 month old?

I wouldn't take advice from forums when it comes to my health or the health of my family. I suggest you read as much as possible concerning the vaccine and youngsters at legitimate health-related sites (e.g., the Center for Disease Control, see cdc.gov/vaccines/…vis-yf.pdf , World Health Organization, etc.) and, if necessary, speak with your doctor again to make a sound decision with your son's health history in mind. Good luck with this; we all understand your taking a conservative approach with your son's well-being.

6. Re: Is Yellow fever vaccination okay for 20 month old?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 April 2014, 05:17