We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

South Africa this Summer 2013

Berkeley Heights...
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
South Africa this Summer 2013

We are planning to go to South Africa this Summer 2013. Has anyone taken a Smartours trip to South Africa in the past year or so. How was it?

Thanks,

Marc M

London, United...
Level Contributor
399 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: South Africa this Summer 2013

Smart tours have an annoyingly long thread on here full of 1st post endorsements, so I would look at that. Personally I would use a smaller tour operator for a personal service or self drive. Feel free to PM me for recommendations.

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
703 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: South Africa this Summer 2013

Hi Mark,

I am a South African based agent, and have never heard of them. ThanD is spot on. Its better to use a smaller operator and get the personal service that most will offer you, along with personal experience of the properties - hotels and safari lodges that they will recommend, as well as assit you with planning and putting together a tailored itinerary for your requirements and budget etc.

I hope my advice helps.

Regards.

Brett | Owner | Safaris For Me | South Africa

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
1,840 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: South Africa this Summer 2013

Hello and yes I would consider self driving. If you want to combine a Big5 safari, with mountains, history and warm beaches then consider visiting KwaZulu Natal. Are you thinking of visiting g between May & September?

Mark - Owner - SafariKZN

Lima, Ohio
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: South Africa this Summer 2013

My wife and I just returned home from South Africa. I would recommend renting a car and setting out on your own if you enjoy creating your adventure at your own pace.. Our excursion started Johannesburg and we drove to the Drakensberg Mountains, then to Durban, and up to Zulu Nyala, and back. The roads are wonderful, the contrasting views breath taking, the chance to come and go as we pleased made this a good choice for us. The last 60 hours of our vacation, we visited three different continents, four countries, traveled just shy of 11,000 miles by air, passed through seven time zones, and drove another 600 miles. Although we was whipped by the time we got home, we never felt more alive.

5. Re: South Africa this Summer 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 May 2014, 05:16