We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling to South Africa

London, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Traveling to South Africa

Hi People

Il be traveling through South africa via Abu dhabi this Ocotober 2013 and want to know how much money i might need ?

Il be in abu dhabi (UAE) for 2 nights accommodation has been paid (and i doubt il be venturing out of the hotel) i would just want to know what sort of money i might need for 2 nights for food and drink? and maby a little spending money.

Then il be in Johannesburg for 2 weeks (again accommodation has already been paid for) and most of the things il be doing have already been paid for. I would just like to know what i might need for Food & Drink and maby a few nights out. I'v been advised to take £1000 GBP from a friend of mine which works out at (14005 Rand)

And i know this is most likely a question you get often on here but this will be my first time in South Africa is the crime as bad as everyone makes out? il be staying with a family member and he said i quote "South Africa isn't as bad as people make out" And i'v just been advised not to carry to much cash with me ? - Is this true? And are there any area's of Johannesburg i should miss out when visiting.

I would be Great full is someone could help me with some of the questions above :-)

Kind Regards

Adam

Mentioned in this post
Johannesburg
Johannesburg
Greater Johannesburg, South Africa
South Africa
Level Contributor
1,439 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling to South Africa

Indeed crime is not as bad as everybody tells you. Yes there is crime.

To go out for diner is mot expensiive and uou can pay with your credit card. For 2 persons going out for diner is around ZAR 150. Incl. Drinks.

And is never good to carry a lot of cash in the world.

Have fun

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
2,746 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling to South Africa

Dinner at 75 ZAR per person? Yes maybe, if "dinner" consists of a pizza and one soft drink. I'd double that to get anything vaguely reasonable.

You should however do extremely well on your proposed 1000 ZAR a day. As has been indicated, no need to bring in the cash: we have an exemplary banking system, lots of ATMs, and almost all retail outlets and restaurants take Visa and Mastercard.

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
9,109 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling to South Africa

Please take the advice about the ATMs seriously. You should not change £ to rand before you come - you will get a bad exchange rate if you do. Best plan is to tell your bank to expect withdrawals from ATMs in South Africa and then withdraw maybe R3000 when you get here. Use a credit card for dining, etc.

Crime? Use your head. Don't stay in the clubs till 200AM. Follow the advice of your JoBurg family and avoid areas they would worry about.

Mentioned in this post
Randburg, Gauteng...
Level Contributor
977 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling to South Africa

I live in Johannesburg and travel around daily doing tours all over the place, late at night, a woman on her own, driving a minibus. I had a guest from USA recently who was walking down the streets of Soweto and she had been told by her friends "to make out her will" and other crazy comments. She said" ihave never felt so safe in my life, what are these people on about - i am bringing these friends of mine out here to see that they are talking rubbish". When she left to go home, she said this was an amazing place to visit, and would make it her mission to rubbish all the bad publicity that Johannesburg gets back in her home.

Lyn - Owner - Thorntree Tours and Safaris

Mentioned in this post
Johannesburg
Johannesburg
Soweto
Soweto
5. Re: Traveling to South Africa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 May 2014, 07:17