We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Madikwe Game Reserve good for first time to South Africa?

Thousand Oaks...
Level Contributor
44 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Madikwe Game Reserve good for first time to South Africa?

My husband and I are in the beginning stages of booking a safari vacation to South Africa. I found a very reasonable package that includes four nights in Cape Town at Twelve Apostles Hotel and three nights at the Madikwe Safari Lodge in the Madikwe Game Reserve. The reviews are glowing, but from my research on the tripadvisor forums I'm wondering whether Madikwe is a good option for a first-timer to South Africa (and possibly only time to South Africa). It seems like most people recommend Kruger National Park.

Thanks in advance for your opinions/advice.

Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
4,101 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Madikwe Game Reserve good for first time to South Africa?

There is nothing wrong with Madikwe, although Kruger is our "premiere" national park.

The plus about Madikwe, is that it is Malaria free, whereas Kruger is not.

Depends on the time of year you intend visiting. Southern Summer is high risk Malaria season in Kruger, Our winter is low risk, Madikwe is "no risk".

Thousand Oaks...
Level Contributor
44 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Madikwe Game Reserve good for first time to South Africa?

Thank you for your response. I will be traveling in Oct or Nov during the summer, so that is something to consider.

Wimborne, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Madikwe Game Reserve good for first time to South Africa?

Having stayed at Madikwe ( the Bush House) I would have no hesitation in recommending it. It is malaria free and has a stark beauty all of its own. We went in August and despite it being "winter" the game viewing was spectacular. Kruger is lush but is in a malaria zone and is very developed so lots more visitors. Madikwe only has a few lodges so the chance of coming across other vehicles is quite scarce. We loved it and are returning next February.

Susan, Dorset

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Madikwe Game Reserve good for first time to South Africa?

We are avid visitors of KNP and have visited Madikwe on numerous occasions too. Malaria in November is higher risk, however, with all the precautions (meds, spray ons, burners and nets) you are sure to still have a safe safari. Madikwe is a more intimate park in that is smaller and less busy than KNP. Game drives in Madikwe were far more exciting and adventurous than the ones we have done in KNP as you have the opportunity of getting quite close to the animals. Vehicles are also smaller (most 9 pax) with a trekker and ranger. KNP you can self drive giving you the opportunity to be out game viewing all day where as Madikwe you can't. When you book with a resort in Madikwe you generally have 2 game drives a day - one sunrise and one sunset each lasting about 3 hours, you also disembark at each where you are served refreshments

Whichever option you make you will not be disappointed.

Enjoy and happy viewing

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
703 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Madikwe Game Reserve good for first time to South Africa?

Hi OP,

Madikwe is a great reserve and I have sent many guets there, but the overall safari experience and game viewing is better in the Kruger area in reserves like the Sabi Sands and Timbavati, which although in malaria area are not directly in the malaria belt, and with anti-malaria precautions you should not have any concerns. This combined with Cape Town and perhaps the Cape Winelands will make for an awesome first trip to South Africa. The weather should also be nice and warm at that time of the year throughout the country.

I hope this bit of advice helps.

Regards.

Brett | Owner | Safaris For Me | South Africa

Randburg, Gauteng...
Level Contributor
977 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Madikwe Game Reserve good for first time to South Africa?

Hello, there are other packages which include Kruger Park and Cape Town, specifically 2 nights in Kruger and 3 nights Cape town, so if you want to visit Kruger instead of Madikwe this is possible. I prefer the Greater Kruger area, where the private lodges are situated. Although there are private lodges situated right inside the Kruger Park borders, of which i have stayed at most of them, the Greater Kruger Lodges offer better game viewing. Also something to consider is that the private lodges can go offroad to follow big cats so as not to loose sight of them. So i recommend Kruger Park instead of Madikwe, most tourists comment that the game viewing was superb and exceeded their expectations.

Lyn - Owner - Thorntree Tours and Safaris

7. Re: Madikwe Game Reserve good for first time to South Africa?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 May 2014, 07:18