We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safaris in South AFrica compared to Tanzania in October

Thunder Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
2,227 posts
191 reviews
Save Topic
Safaris in South AFrica compared to Tanzania in October

Would there be a difference in types of animals to see on a Safari in South Africa vs Tanzania for month of October.

Looking at doing a country in Africa for a safari. Problem is deciding but i found costs are lower for South Africa for safaris vs Tanzania.

Are both areas very unique experiences to see? or should i only consider one only?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
3,799 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safaris in South AFrica compared to Tanzania in October

Both SA (I'll assume you'd be spending time in the Greater Kruger region) and Tanzania are great places for safaris. Generally speaking, you'll see many of the same animals, but they'll be in different ecosystems. With an entire month you could do both countries.

If you planned on doing game viewing the entire time I'd suggest splitting time between the two countries or doing Tanzania, which I believe offers more ecosystem variety with great game viewing. (You could do SA plus Botswana but Botswana is very expensive). Northern Tanzania offers the Ngorongoro Crater, Tarangire, the Serengeti (with the possibility of picking up the Great Migration in the central area) and Manyara. In southern Tanzania prices are lower than the north and places like Selous, which has a Botswana feel to it, offers the chance to do boat safaris and to see wild dogs while rugged Ruaha is an ideal place to see lion-buffalo interactions.

Good luck with your planning.

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
703 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Safaris in South AFrica compared to Tanzania in October

Hi worldtravellers123,

I think you'll have a completely different safari experience in South Africa and Tanzania. Both are great destinations but very different. I agree with steveb, that if you could combine 2 countries - Tanzania/SA or Botswana/SA, you would have a 2 completely different but equally fantastic experiences. If its down to choice, I would have to be a bit biased and say South Africa, in one of our private reserves.

Regards.

Brett | Owner | Safaris For Me | South Africa

SOUTH AFRICA
Level Contributor
2,529 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safaris in South AFrica compared to Tanzania in October

I agree that these 2 destinations offer completely different type of safaris! If you have the budget and the time, then I would definitely recommend that you try to include both in your itinerary. Tanzania will typically give you wide open spaces, large herds, many safari vehicles around, while a safari at a private reserve in South Africa would give you fewer vehicles per sighting and a more "up close and personal" big 5 experience.

Tanya * owner * Africa Direct

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,279 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safaris in South AFrica compared to Tanzania in October

Since the massive herds of migrating wildebeest, zebras, and gazelles are a major attraction in Kenya and Tanzania, you should know that they are not so accessible in October. They have mostly exited Kenya and are coming south through a part of northern Tanzania that does not have a lot of tourism lodging.. and getting to the area is a hassle and fairly expensive. Other areas of TZ named in a posting above are still good destinations. But the migration will not be so easy to include.

Dave Patterson - Owner - The Africa Safari

5. Re: Safaris in South AFrica compared to Tanzania in October

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 June 2014, 06:17