We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental VW Polo

Wellington NZ
Level Contributor
92 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Car rental VW Polo

Hi, Has anyone rented a VW Polo hatch and can you advise on boot capacity? Would it hold 2 medium and one cabin bag plus a couple of smaller items? Would all cars in this group have the same size boot? Many thanks Trish

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,958 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car rental VW Polo

http://www.avis.co.za/car-hire-fleet.aspx

Trish this gives you what Avis specifies bag wise for the different vehicles. You will see for VW Polo Hatch it is only 2 medium but of course it doesn’t indicate litre capacity .If the bags are soft duffel type you may be able to squash them into corners and possibly get the cabin bag in the boot but it’s a gamble You could visit your local VW dealer to inspect boot layout and it may give you a better idea. I actually did that before booking an Avis vehicle for my trip last year (wasn’t a Polo ) as it was vital our group of 4 adults could fit all our clobber in. The vehicles in Group B (compact) are all much the same for boot space. If you went to the next class Group C (intermediate) eg. Toyota Corolla I have rented one) you would ensure all your gear would be out of sight in that boot.

Pickering, United...
Level Contributor
3,298 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Car rental VW Polo

You need to specify that you want a VW Polo sedan with a boot rather than a hatch. That is what we drive around and can fit the amount you specify into the boot.

London, United...
Level Contributor
399 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Car rental VW Polo

I think it would. If you take the boot shelf out - we got 2 big suitcases in a rucksack and charcoal last time.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,958 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car rental VW Polo

Think she asked about a Hatch

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,958 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car rental VW Polo

Also depends if you want luggage visible,personally I would not unless youre not stopping at places along the way. Check your Insurance Cover as some Travel Policies decline theft of said items if it is visible.

Wellington NZ
Level Contributor
92 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car rental VW Polo

Thank you all for your replies. I was thinking of a hatch but now realize a sedan would be better. I don't want anything to be visible. I will ask for a VW but I know they don't guarantee a particular model, only something in that group. I could be lucky.

Cheers Trish

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,492 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car rental VW Polo

Luggage is not visible in that car. It would hold your bags, and be a reliable little car for your purposes. But I suggest their Group B as the minimum size if you are doing much driving. I just drove more than 2000Kms in a Polo sedan and a Toyota Corolla. I needed 2 cars, because a parking attendant at one of the safari lodges I was visiting - wrecked the Polo! Turns out he really did not know how to drive, though he had his license!

Dave Patterson - Owner - The Africa Safari

8. Re: Car rental VW Polo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 June 2014, 05:18