We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please Help - Winelands Itinerary/Ideas?

Chicago
Level Contributor
275 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Please Help - Winelands Itinerary/Ideas?

My husband and I will be based in Cape Town but have booked a one day private tour with Cape Convoy to the Winelands.

We are in our early 30's, foodies, enjoy wine but are by no means aficionados. We have previously been to Napa and spent some time last summer in the Tuscan hilltowns where we visited various wineries. Our main goals are to get a sampling of both Franschhoek and Stellenbosch, drink a variety of the "best" wines, and visit the wineries with the most stunning or unique grounds and scenery. At home, our go-to wines tend to be Pinot Noir, Cabernet Sauvignon, Sauvignon Blanc, Riesling, Prosecco. We would definitely like to try reds, whites, and sparklings, and Pinotage is a must since we've not had it before.

We decided to go with a private tour so we can customize our own itinerary. I feel as though I've done quite a bit of research, but there's obviously much more to see and do than one can fit in a single day. I would love your thoughts on the direction I'm heading.

Here's what I've got so far, though there will obviously be editing for time and for the recommendations of Cape Convoy.

- pick- up around 9am; drive to Franschhoek

- explore the main street - shopping, grab a light breakfast

- tasting at La Motte

- lunch at Bread + Wine

- drive to Stellenbosch for the afternoon

- tastings at (which ones? how many? Need to narrow this down.): Delaire, Simonsig, Rust en Vrede, Vergelegen, Meerlust, Tokara, Jordan, Kanonkop

- back at hotel between 5-6pm

I would love your thoughts and ideas. Lots more research to do in the next two weeks!

Mentioned in this post
Cape Town
Cape Town
Western Cape, South Africa
Cape Convoy
Cape Convoy
997 Reviews
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Franschhoek
Franschhoek
Stellenbosch
Stellenbosch
Simonsig
Simonsig
208 Reviews
Stellenbosch, South Africa
Tokara
Tokara
352 Reviews
African Flame Safaris
Private Tours, Safaris
Vula Tours
Private Tours, Safaris, Day Trips
Mbombela Experience - Day Tours
Bus Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Cultural Tours, Private Tours, Day Trips
Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Western Cape, Cape Town Central
Level Contributor
4,671 posts
607 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please Help - Winelands Itinerary/Ideas?

Hi

I think you may be being ambitious

I would have your breakfast before you leave Cape Town ANC then I think you could fit in two tastings in Franschhoek. La Motte is a good choice. Then maybe a tasting also at Moreson or Rickety Bridge or Chamonix

I then think you should plan on 3 tastings in Stellenbosch. I really don't think you have time for more.

Out of your list I would probably opt for Tokara, Delaire ( probably the most opulent winery in the winelands, although the tasting is more expensive here) and then Simonsig. They have a great range of wines to suit all pockets and a very good MCC (South Africa's equivalent to champagne and I see you like prosecco). Jordan is also up there with my favourite wineries and on a nice day the views are spectacular, so you could substitute this for Tokara. Both make excellent wines

Pinot noir is not a greatly grown grape in SA and the best examples are in cooler climates, like Elgin, so you probably won't taste in Francchhoek or Stellenbosch

Enjoy your day!

Lisa

Mentioned in this post
Cape Town
Cape Town
Franschhoek
Franschhoek
Moreson
Moreson
122 Reviews
Franschhoek, South Africa
Stellenbosch
Stellenbosch
Tokara
Tokara
352 Reviews
Simonsig
Simonsig
208 Reviews
Chicago
Level Contributor
275 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please Help - Winelands Itinerary/Ideas?

Thanks, Lisa! This is helpful. I definitely don't think we can fit in eight wineries in Stellenbosch - doubt I'd be able to walk straight after that! Those are just the wineries I've been most interested in. I'll look to narrow down to 3-4 and take your recommendations into consideration! Delaire, Simonsig, and Jordan have been near the top of the list, so glad to hear you included them.

Mentioned in this post
Stellenbosch
Stellenbosch
Simonsig
Simonsig
208 Reviews
north yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,224 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please Help - Winelands Itinerary/Ideas?

Lisa and Belfast Taxman are the people I would go with when choosing what wine estates to visit - they know their way around and are very well versed in good wines. Lisa - have a good time in July - contact me when you get back and we can arrange to meet up if you want.

Joyce

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Western Cape, Cape Town Central
Level Contributor
4,671 posts
607 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please Help - Winelands Itinerary/Ideas?

Hi Joyce

Will be in touch! Looking forward to 2 weeks relaxing, eating and drinking!!

Lisa

5. Re: Please Help - Winelands Itinerary/Ideas?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 29 November 2014, 11:36
Ilkley, United...
Level Contributor
1,063 posts
343 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Please Help - Winelands Itinerary/Ideas?

Not long until you go now Lisa - enjoy - I am sure you will :)

7. Re: Please Help - Winelands Itinerary/Ideas?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2014, 05:17