We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping advice for drivers and tour guides.

Florida
Level Contributor
75 posts
Save Topic
Tipping advice for drivers and tour guides.

Hi. I will be taking a tour where a driver will pick me up each day and take me to my excursion. I will also be spending several days at a preserve in Kruger. I would like to know in Rand what is reasonable for tipping my driver and my tour guides. I have read 10% for waiters. Who else might I need to tip?

Thanks in advance.

Mentioned in this post
Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
5,901 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tipping advice for drivers and tour guides.

If you type "Tipping in South Africa" into the search box at upper right of this page, you will find a lot of discussion, and plenty of advice.

Local shops do not accept foreign currency, as a rule, so, remember, South African currency (dollar equivalent) is preferred, as not everyone has a bank account, or a passport ( necessary to change dollars into local currency).

Receiving tips in dollars often leads to the person receiving less than the visitor intended, because of bank charges, or worse, if the person has to exchange into ZAR at a hotel, lodge, etc where the rates are not very favourable.

Mentioned in this post
Cape Town
Level Contributor
113 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tipping advice for drivers and tour guides.

Hi there,

You can check out the following links with regards to tipping in South Africa

tripadvisor.com/…45054414

tripadvisor.com/…4566504

tripadvisor.com/…14772727

Hope this gives you some idea.

Take 2 Tours,

Sanobia

Mentioned in this post
Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
3,193 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tipping advice for drivers and tour guides.

Tipping depends entirely to me on how the service was. Based on that, you can easily go with 10% or even up to 15% for the guides and drivers.

Hank - Owner - Ulungele Tours

Indiana
Level Contributor
121 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tipping advice for drivers and tour guides.

I realize tipping is personal - and I have read several guidelines. But when they say R100 per person, per day for the ranger -- are they truly meaning per person or per couple? My husband and I will be staying at a private lodge next year for 4 nights. I am just looking for a standard to guage my tip. Being a typical American "over-tipper" I may want to be extra generous at times for really good experiences and services :) If the guideline is R100 per person, not couple -- I wouldn't want to tip R150 thinking I am being generous when in fact, it would be less than the guideline. So, I was curious if that guideline was truly per person so I know what would be considered standard versus generous. Thank you.

Randburg, Gauteng...
Level Contributor
977 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tipping advice for drivers and tour guides.

Hello, that is generally per couple and that would be about the standard rate. If the guide was excellent you could give R50 more. Porters should be tipped R5 per bag. I also leave R50 on the night stand for the cleaning lady at the lodge at the end of the trip. Remember the service staff at most of the lodges, etc. receive low wages and rely on the tips from guests. Your driver should get about R50 to R100 per trip if a full day as the lowest base rate.

Lyn - Owner - Thorntree Tours and Safaris

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
9,101 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tipping advice for drivers and tour guides.

R200 per couple per day for a Ranger at a private reserve, and half that for the Tracker (or a little more) is what I recommend. R100 per day for staff at the lodge. If you can, get rand from an ATM and hand out the tips in cash. The lodges will almost always allow you to charge the tipping to your credit card - and we can hope that the lodge then credits the full amount to the Ranger and Tracker. I have asked that specific question and Rangers tell me they do get the full amount in their paychecks. My advice, though - and it may sound like more trouble than you want to go to - is to take along some inexpensive Thank You cards, hand them out with the tip inside at the lodge or lodges where you stay. Some handwritten "Thanks" to these folks will seem appropriate to you when it's time to leave. I promise.

Edited: 13 July 2013, 14:30
Indiana
Level Contributor
121 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tipping advice for drivers and tour guides.

I make and decorate homemade note cards - and I had planned on making many to take along to write thank yous. And I prefer to tip in cash directly - and plan on bringing/getting Rand. Also bringing along gifts :-) We devote an entire suitcase to gifts - and it works because it allows us room to bring home purchases as well. I truly appreciate the advice on how much to tip.

When you say lodge staff - you mean the tip guideline is total or per staff? We enjoy tipping everyone separately and tip well, but don't want to go too overboard where we appear rich (as we are not). But we do work hard and save money - so we can afford this trip. We will not take a trip of we can not afford to tip appropriately. And what all "staff" can we expect at the lodge? The bartender :) The cleaning staff. Who else (aside from ranger and tracker)? Thank you so much!!!

8. Re: Tipping advice for drivers and tour guides.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2014, 05:16