We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Panorama or Garden Route?

New York, New York...
2 posts
Save Topic
Panorama or Garden Route?

I'm trying to plan a trip to South Africa, and unfortunately there isn't enough time for me to do everything that I want to do. Therefore, I need to choose between fully exploring the east or the west of South Africa. I was wondering, does anyone have any advice on whether they liked the Panorama or Garden Route better. Thank you so much!

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
1,741 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Panorama or Garden Route?

We are going to do both the Panorama Route and the Garden Route this coming July, so I can't quite tell you which one is "better" yet. But I can tell you that we have planned 4 days on the Garden Route, and 1 day to visit the Panorama Route. ( 1 day is enough for Panorama route, but you will need a few days to properly see the Garden Route).

Also, Garden Route is by Cape Town. Panorama Route is just outside of the Kruger Park. You should probably take into account the time required and locations of these two places when planning your South Africa trip.

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
28 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Panorama or Garden Route?

Both areas offer exquisite beauty but very different terrain. beach, sea and sand is most of what you will be seeing along the garden route, with a few lakes along the way offering various activities. Some of the beaches are intimate while others are long ribbons of golden sands. Our beaches have free access but bare in mind when parking and being assisted by car guards gratuity tips are appreciated. Always swim within the marked areas on swimming beaches only if you dare to enter the waters in July. The beautiful town of Knysna boasts the Knysna Lagoon where one can stay overnight on the Lagoon in your own boat as well as go on various excursions to the Heads. Nuzi is a private beach just outside Knysna famous for its privately owned castles. Bungi jumping off Storms River Mouth bridge, abseiling, water rafting, canoeing the black waters of Tsitsikama will keep you busy. Storms River is absolutely stunning.

When visiting Panorama there are a variety of places of interest - Pilgrims Rest, Bourkes Luck Potholes, The 3 Rondawels (huts), God's Finger, Mholholo, numerous beautiful waterfalls, Echo Caves, Gods Window, the quaint towns of Sabie Hazyview, Klaserie and White River all waiting to be explored.

We are busy planning a trip to Florida and New York for the month of December, and I well know the daunting feeling of "where do I start?" good luck with your planning. whatever you choose will be gratifying.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
28,076 posts
5,946 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Panorama or Garden Route?

Here is a trip list of attractions you can see along the Panorama Route drive around Blyde River Canyon if helpful.

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i30411-Panorama…

We actually stayed in Sabie in the area of the Panorama Route for several days, finding plenty to do/see there. You can definitely spend more than 1-2 days in the area and not find yourself bored. Some great hiking spots and waterfalls to see as well.

Harare, Zimbabwe
Level Contributor
809 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Panorama or Garden Route?

I think that it depends on the time of year. Both areas are fabulous. The garden route can be quite cold in winter and you don't get the full benefit of the beaches and the ocean. I have just done the panoramic route for the 5th time and it is spectacular scenery that I never tire of,.So ultimately, I guess, it depends of your expectations of what you would like to see,

Table View, South...
Level Contributor
1,092 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Panorama or Garden Route?

Simple. If your primary vacation goal is to go to Kruger then do the Panorama Route. If the primary goal is to visit Cape Town then do the Garden Route.

6. Re: Panorama or Garden Route?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 June 2014, 05:17