We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel Insurance Company doesn't pay for claims!

Hout Bay, South...
Level Contributor
8 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Travel Insurance Company doesn't pay for claims!

I just wanted all of you travelling from South Africa to know that Travel Insurance Company (partnered with FNB and Flight Center) are very negligent in paying for insurance claims. I would advise avoiding them at all costs. On one occasion, a colleague's parent was critically ill, so she had to cancel her trip to attend to him. On another, I fell pregnant and was unable to undertake travel to my destination due to malaria, high altitude, and the fact that I couldn't fly at that stage. In both cases, they refused to settle the claim despite very solid documentation and so forth. In the policy statement, journey cancellation is explicitly covered for R15,000 per policy - both claims were even below that.

Anyhow, save yourself the heartache of being abandoned by your insurance company if you were really in a bind. I would welcome any good recommendations of companies insuring for South African resident/citizens, so that I don't make the same mistake again.

Naracoorte
Level Contributor
2,863 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel Insurance Company doesn't pay for claims!

Surely if you were eligible for a genuine claim and they didn't pay out they breached their contract? Can't you follow up with the relevant consumer/trade organisation?

Their policy is very explicit in what it will and won't cover in regards to cancellation of travel.

Pickering, United...
Level Contributor
3,291 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel Insurance Company doesn't pay for claims!

Wisdomtraveller, the ill parent/partner/etc is often an exclusion as they frequently have pre-existing conditions. I have planned my holiday this year knowing that if my mother takes a turn for the worse and I have to stay home or come back early then I will have to stand the loss.

Pregnancy is covered though IF I get pregnant now that I have bought the policy. However it only kicks in if You will be mo than 26 weeks pregnant at the start of your trip or your doctor says you are unfit to travel so this could offer a get out clause for insurers.

Moral of the story - read the small print before you buy, folks.

3. Re: Travel Insurance Company doesn't pay for claims!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 June 2014, 07:18