We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

carrying Fentanyl Patches ( an opioid) into South Africa

Paisley, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
213 reviews
Save Topic
carrying Fentanyl Patches ( an opioid) into South Africa

Hi. Has anyone any experience of taking Fentanyl Patches ( or other controlled style drugs) into South Africa? do I need a copy of the prescription or a letter from my doctor?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
4,108 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: carrying Fentanyl Patches ( an opioid) into South Africa

According to southafrica.info/travel/…whattobring.htm :

"If you are on any pharmaceutical drugs, or medication as it is known here, bring them along as well as a spare prescription. Custom regulations allow you to bring in one month’s supply for your personal use. It’s a good idea to get a letter from your doctor, confirming your medication. Drugstores are known as “pharmacies” here."

Still, if it were me I'd call the SA embassy to double check that advice. As mentioned, having a letter from your doctor on his letterhead, as well as having the drug in its original packaging, would be helpful.

Edited: 05 July 2013, 01:27
Paisley, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: carrying Fentanyl Patches ( an opioid) into South Africa

many thanks. I have emailed South Africa House in the UK and emailed SARS ( South Africa Revenue Service who control customs) about this and they have yet to reply - I prefer getting the information in writing as I can then prove I did what they told me. So many thanks again for your help.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
4,108 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: carrying Fentanyl Patches ( an opioid) into South Africa

Sounds like a plan. I'm thinking you won't have a problem. Good luck, and have a great trip.

Pickering, United...
Level Contributor
3,298 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: carrying Fentanyl Patches ( an opioid) into South Africa

We have taken MST morphine tablets (in the days before the patches were developed) along with a load of other meds and have never had any problems. We carry the medications in our hand luggage along with a valid prescription. All of the meds should be in their original packaging from the pharmacy showing your name. They usually attract more attention at check in when the baggage goes through the scanner because of the aluminium packaging!

Paisley, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: carrying Fentanyl Patches ( an opioid) into South Africa

sorry, forgot to ask - did you declare them on your entry? either on an entry card or did you go through the red channel at customs?

Pickering, United...
Level Contributor
3,298 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: carrying Fentanyl Patches ( an opioid) into South Africa

No we had not been told to do this and didn't even consider it. We also had large quantities of meds as we go away for 6 weeks.

7. Re: carrying Fentanyl Patches ( an opioid) into South Africa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 July 2014, 06:18