We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flight prices from UK

england
Level Contributor
270 posts
Save Topic
Flight prices from UK

Looking at visiting Cape Town in August. What is a good flight price at this time of year?

I've found flights just over £700 return but thought I saw them as cheap as £500 -£600 a few weeks ago.

What would people expect to pay?

Berkhamsted, United...
Level Contributor
1,416 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flight prices from UK

I wouldn't expect to get direct flights for less than that. Sometimes, indirect flights can be cheaper but you need to balance that against the inconvenience factor.

I booked for August nearly a year ago (to Jo'burg) and paid a similar price.

Although August is winter there, it's still a popular time to travel from this end due to school holidays and given that once you're there, it's a great time of year for safari and activities such as whale watching.

London, United...
Level Contributor
399 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Flight prices from UK

I am yet to pay over £560 for indirect..

england
Level Contributor
270 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Flight prices from UK

Than D - is that booking well in advance. Who do you normally fly with?

Pickering, United...
Level Contributor
3,244 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flight prices from UK

Lagentium was that just a headline price that you saw (flights from ...)?

We have given up shopping around for SA flights and usually try to book about Nov for the following summer. Trailfinders have consistently found us great value flights without all of the dubious small print of some agents (see recent posts on Expedia for example). They consider a whole range of options and (assuming that you possibly live in W Yorks?!) their Leeds office can suggest flights linking through Paris etc thus meaning you do not have to go via LHR as well as saving the long haul tax as the first leg of the flight is just short haul thus reducing the price.

Leigh-on Sea...
Level Contributor
3,589 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flight prices from UK

I have also booked with Trailfinders for SA and the Far East . They often can reduce the airfares if you take some day's accommodation.

Direct flights to SA are never cheap compared with some other destinations such as Bangkok. .

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,384 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flight prices from UK

Look at Turkish, Swiss and Lufthansa

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
1,774 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flight prices from UK

Hello and the last few years we have used Air France and have booked directly through their web site. Prices have been between £500 & £550 return flying from Birmingham to Paris, then the double decker to Joburg. Its ideal for us because it avoids London. I have looked to go myself next month though and prices have been a lot higher than this time last year.

Mark - Owner - SafariKZN

Pickering, United...
Level Contributor
3,244 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flight prices from UK

We are going with Air France although we booked with Trail Finders who were no more expensive than booking direct and came with the advantage of having sought the best deal for us by trawling through all of their fares. We are flying from Manchester to Paris first rather than Birmingham. like you we avoid London at all costs!

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
1,774 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flight prices from UK

I have been very impressed with Air France even though its a bit of a rush getting the connecting flight in Paris....and it lands at 10ish which is later than all the direct flights. I even joined their frequent flyers though they would not include 6 previous flights taken with them.

Mark - Owner - SafariKZN

London, United...
Level Contributor
235 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Flight prices from UK

Am about to pay £1725 per person direct flight LON - J'berg - Livingston - Cape Town - London. This will be Dec 14 to Jan 8. Expensive I know but have to bite the bullet to travel that time!