We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay in between JNB and Blyde River Canyon?

London, United...
Level Contributor
235 posts
92 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay in between JNB and Blyde River Canyon?

Hi,

I will be arriving in JNB airport (from Livingstone) at 3pm on 17th Dec and want to do the panoramic drive the next day, visiting Blyde River Canyon, God's window, Bourke's Luck Potholes and other sites. Rather than staying in J'berg and heading off early the next morning, I am thinking of heading off straight away so that I don't have to rush through all the sites.

However, the earliest I would be able to set off will be 4pm I think, taking account of immigration and getting my rental car. So, the question is where (which town) should stay if I were to set off that late? Looking at Google map and guide book, I am thinking Dullstroom? It's only 2.5 hrs away, so I can be there before sunset? Or maybe should I consider something closer, perhaps Emalahleni, Middleburg or Belfast. The problem with these 3 is that I can't find info of them in my guidebook, so I am not sure if it is advisable to stop there.

To give a complete picture of my itinerary, here's what I have planned:

17 Dec - Arrvive JNB @ 3:05pm from Livingstone. Drive and overnight somewhere in between JNB and Blyde Canyon.

18 Dec - Enjoy the panoramic route - visit Blyde River Canyon, God's window, Bourke's Luck Potholes and surrounding area. Stay somewhere outside Kruger NP.

19 Dec - Drive to Nottens in Sabi Sands and start safari.

Thoughts very much welcomed!

Thanks v.m.

Shah

South Africa
Level Contributor
1,579 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay in between JNB and Blyde River Canyon?

Dullstroom is not a bad option, you should be able to reach that before dark. It's a quaint little tourist town with nice Highveld scenery and some good fly fishing. It's a better option than Emalahleni, Middelburg or Belfast. On the 18th you will then have a short scenic drive to the Panorama Route. Perhaps you can drive through Mashishing (Lydenburg) and Ohrigstad and turn right onto the R532 to do the Panorama Route from north to south, ending in Sabie and then making your way to Hazyview for the night (maybe Abangane Guest House or Laughing Waters Guest House). Then it's only an hour or so to Nottens from there.

Onne from Wild Wings Safaris

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,409 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay in between JNB and Blyde River Canyon?

I'm guessing you wouldn't have a mental picture of what the countryside would be like around Dullstrom. Looking here: safarinow.com/destinations/…hub.aspx - at a wide range of accommodations in town and nearby will tell you a lot. Lots of good choices. As are the ones suggested for your 2nd night, prior to Notten's And another place you could consider for that overnight could be this one: http://mykrugerlodge.com/ It's self-catering, no breakfast included. But in a convenient and handsome setting.

London, United...
Level Contributor
235 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay in between JNB and Blyde River Canyon?

Thanks for the help guys - always reassuring to have some form of affirmation of an idea!

Shah

Randburg, Gauteng...
Level Contributor
977 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay in between JNB and Blyde River Canyon?

Dullstroom is the only option I think. There are lovely hotels, guest houses, and coffee shops, quaint pubs and a lot of history. You could even try Warkersons for an upmarket stay. Otherwise my very favourite is Critchely Hackley, lovely pub, rooms overlooking the trout lake, trout fishing. Lovely little town, you will love it... pancakes too.

Lyn - Owner - Thorntree Tours and Safaris

5. Re: Where to stay in between JNB and Blyde River Canyon?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 July 2014, 06:22