We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon in January 2014

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
48 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Honeymoon in January 2014

Hi we are looking at spending our honeymoon in South Africa and Singapore in January and February 2014. This is our itinerary so far, and I'd really appreciate any feedback (things we've missed, places we should spend more time at etc).

Day 1: Arrive Johannesburg, transfer to Port Elizabeth

Day 2: Schotia Reserve

Day 3: Greater Addo Elephant National Park

Day 4: Jeffrey's Bay

Day 5: Commence Garden Route - Botlierskop / Mossel Bay

Day 6: Oustshoorn

Day 7: Storm's River / Knysna

Day 8: Knysna

Day 9: Stellenbosch wine tasting

Day 10: Cape Town - Table Mountain and cable car

Day 11: Long Street, Victoria and Albert Waterfront

Day 12: Day trip to Cape Point

Day 13: Leave South Africa

We plan to hire a car and drive the Garden Route. Any feedback would be great thanks.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,035 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honeymoon in January 2014

I think it’s a shame not to see some of the premier Game Reserves while you are in SA. Addo is fine if you are totally restricted to that area but it doesn’t compare to those in Kruger/ Greater Kruger or Hluhluwe /Imfolozi or Tembe ( in NE Natal ) where you get more of a “ bush ‘’ feeling. You could swap those first few days by say flying to Hoedspruit and renting a car at the Eastgate Airport and self-driving to one or more larger reserves /park where the chances of big 5 game viewing are good. If you cannot or do not want to self-drive there are transfers to many Lodges which are easily arranged. I have been to Addo but my preferences would be the other places I have mentioned but if there was no other choice then fair enough.

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
287 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Honeymoon in January 2014

Your directions are a bit back to front it should go Jeffreys Bay - Storms River- Knysna -Outshoorn - Mossel Bay (although this debatable because you will have to back track between Otushoorn and Mossel bay) - Stellenbosch.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
733 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Honeymoon in January 2014

If I were you, I would leave out Botlierskop and add a day in either Scotia or Addo as these places offer a much more authentic wildlife experience. I would also add a day in Knysna as there is so much to do in this area. Then do Oudtshoorn on your way to Stellenbosch. You could easily combine the activities of day 10 and day 11, maybe doing a tour on the open top bus if you need to cut a day somewhere.

Mark September

Small World Tours

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
452 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Honeymoon in January 2014

I think you're pushing a bit much with moving around every day. You won't be able to really enjoy anything. I don't know what you flights look like but by the time you get to PE and then drive to Schotia you most probably cannot enjoy the game drives at all.

As already mentioned above you would get a true safari experience if you visit the Kruger Park area. It would really be a pity to miss out on it. You could then fly from Kruger - PE or George.

I would also recommend you stay in Knsyna for 2-3 nights and visit Oudtshoorn, Storms river, etc from here.

Regards

Michelle - owner - Cape Town Guide

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
48 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Honeymoon in January 2014

Thanks everyone for your replies.

We were hoping to have a great safari experience without having to visit Kruger (less vaccinations required etc). My friend who's from South Africa said Schotia and Addo both provided a great experience and that she had heard great things about Botlierskop.

We don't have a limit to our stay (we can reduce our stay in Singapore if need) so please let me know if we should stay longer in a certain area. We were planning 2 nights in Knysna and stating at the same place whilst in Cape Town (4 nights).

I'm very sensitive to food, tablets etc so wasn't keen on taking malaria tablets if possible (obviously I'd take them if needed).

Thanks again.

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
452 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Honeymoon in January 2014

You don't need to take Malaria tablets as a precautionary method. Today there are malaria tablets on the market that you take with as a standby medication. Which means you only take it as soon as you have the symptons. But this you can follow up with your doctor. A mosquito repellent also works excellently.

But, If you feel more comfortable with avoiding the malaria areas then do so, alone for peace of mind.

If you do wish to go on safari in the Eastern Cape then take a look at Pumba Game Reserve: http://www.pumbagamereserve.co.za/ or Safari Lodge on Amakhala: www.amakhala.co.za/lodges/4-safari-lodge.

No matter where you decide to go on safari, I would definitely recommend at least 4 nights split into two camps/destinations. Garden Route 3 nights and Cape Town 4 nights and cape winelands for 1 night is fine.

Regards

Michelle

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
703 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Honeymoon in January 2014

Hi Emzza87,

I agree with stargaize. It would be a real pity to come all the way to SA and not do a safari. Kruger is the premier safari destination in SA and very highly recommended, and I'm not sure why you would want to miss the experience? FYI, as far as I know, there are no vaccinations required for Kruger or SA at all, except when entering from a Yellow Fever endemic area. At the worst you will have to take malaria tablets as a precautionary. I really think you should reconsider. But at the least, a safari in the Eastern Cape - Shamwari or Kwandwe are also options to look at or Madikwe which is also a great option for a safari in a malaria free area.

That's my advice.

Regards.

Brett | Owner | Safaris For Me | South Africa

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
48 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Honeymoon in January 2014

Hi all,

Just wondering how these game reserves compare -

Pumba

Shamwari

Kwandwe

Amakhala

Madikwe

Scotia

What kind of price are we looking at for a safari? Would you allocate about 2 days at the reserve?

Given that it is our honeymoon and first visit to SA (and we probably won't get the chance to visit again for a while) we would like a good experience, it doesn't have to be the cheapest option, we would like nice facilities, but at the same time doesn't need to be upper class.

Thanks again.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
48 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Honeymoon in January 2014

Also please add Kariega to that list.

Which would you recommend for a honeymoon? We were planning to visit Scotia and Addo but if there's something only slightly more expensive and worth the extra we'd like to know. Also which accommodation to stay at and whether to organise the safari through the reserve or through a tour company?

Many thanks,

Emma

Gold Coast...
Destination Expert
for Kruger National Park
Level Contributor
5,032 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Honeymoon in January 2014

I do have to add that you should reconsider Kruger, the flagship of all South Africas parks. Especially after such a long trip [although much quicker from Perth half your luck].

You have been given excellent advice here regarding the malaria issue, there are ways around it.

Stargaize is correct, as much as Addo is a great place to visit it does not come close to being comparable with Kruger.

There are some amazing lodges in the private reserves adjacent to Kruger, that will give you some great game viewing in just a few days, are ideal for honeymooners, very easy to access, and cover a large range of budgets.

Very easy to book too, certainly no need to use an agent or guide.