We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommendations - Driving OR Tambo to st. Lucia

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
111 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Recommendations - Driving OR Tambo to st. Lucia

We will soon be back in South Africa and our first destination is St. Lucia. As it is a long drive from OR Tambo can anyone suggest a good lunch stop. From what I remember there is not much by the immediate roadside on this route.

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
1,774 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recommendations - Driving OR Tambo to st. Lucia

Just to ask, have you thought of flying from Joburg to Durban or even Richards Bay?

Mark - Owner - SafariKZN

London, United...
Level Contributor
399 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Recommendations - Driving OR Tambo to st. Lucia

One way car hire is expensive so perhaps they want to drive?

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
111 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Recommendations - Driving OR Tambo to st. Lucia

Mark we are doing a round trip st.lucia and Kruger then back to Jo'berg.

We don't mind the drive, in fact we are looking forward to it.

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
1,774 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Recommendations - Driving OR Tambo to st. Lucia

It was just a thought and I actually enjoy the driving to. We have done it a few ways in the last few years with combining flights and one way car hire. Regarding expense, including fuel, and time there is not much in it either way.

Have a great trip!

Mark - Owner - SafariKZN

London, United...
Level Contributor
399 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Recommendations - Driving OR Tambo to st. Lucia

It depends how many people are flying I guess. One way car hire is much more than dropping off at the same place as the pick up. How much are flights to Richards Bay out of interest?

London, United...
Level Contributor
399 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Recommendations - Driving OR Tambo to st. Lucia

I think much of that route is motorway so you could stop at service stations, or look up a nice restaurant in Ermelo/Piet Retief?

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
1,774 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Recommendations - Driving OR Tambo to st. Lucia

Just looking very quickly at one way flights for the first week of Oct. Durban is R642 and Richards Bay is R1600. Richards bay is an expensive option when less than two hours from Durban airport. Also on the car hire and again a very quick search there didn't seem to be any difference on the price with either collecting & dropping in Joburg or picking up in Joburg and dropping off in Durban. I think when I last did this 18 months ago it added R500 to my bill.

Mark - Owner - SafariKZN

8. Re: Recommendations - Driving OR Tambo to st. Lucia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 August 2014, 05:16